Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft.com search engine

Microsoft.com search engine

So I was being a curious little cat, and thought I'd try searching for "firefox" at microsoft.com.

I thought I would get a list of firefox-related, website issues ("why doesn't msdn work with firefox?", for example).

What I got instead surprised me a bit:

The first link, http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx, the "Internet Explorer Home", had nothing to do with firefox, nor did it have the word "firefox" anywhere on the page.

The next 4 links seem to try to force me to download the Windows Validator. No mention of Firefox either.

The 5th link is the only one with any reference to "firefox".

So, what I get out of this is that they're purposefully filtering "firefox" to mean "Internet Explorer" for the top links.

Trying other search terms produces more expected results:
    "Linux" - First link is how to remove linux upon installation of windows
    "Opera" - First link brings up crash analysis and which browser to use to view it (IE, Netscape, Opera)
    "Open Office" expectedly brings up Office 2003. But, searching for "Openoffice" brings up a pdf document which I cannot access (member only). It sure looks like an interesting read, though. The second result was a case study done in Malaysia about how open office has a higher TCO, blah blah blah...

Anyway, I was wondering what thoughts you guys have on this? Do you think it's right that they're filtering results in this fashion? Personally, I'm on the fence on this one. On one hand, it's their product, their website, they can have whatever they want. On the other hand, after doing this I feel cheated, and in need of a shower.

Interestingly, searching at www.mozilla.org for "Internet Explorer", takes me right to Microsoft's IE site.
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

BANNED
    To the left of the search box you will see two options. One is to search microsoft.com and the other is to search the web. I'm pretty sure you were searching microsoft.com instead of the web and that's why you got the results you did. It's not being filtered microsoft.com just doesn't have the content you were searching for.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Nah, I searched Microsoft on purpose, just to see what I'd get
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

BANNED
    Well then you aren't going to find content that isn't there...

Originally posted here by muert0
    Well then you aren't going to find content that isn't there...
    that dosn't discount in any way that the results that turned up did NOT contain the term "firefox", they should not have been returned at all.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

The point of the exercise was to see what they would do in case someone searched for a competitor's product on their website, using the search bar left at default.

I'm just trying to point out that they're being kind of clever about firefox, since it's a hot, relatively new, competing product.

Also, I have had trouble accessing MSDN in the past with Firefox, so I could have been searching their site to find out why (I know better, but trying to justify why someone would actually do this...).
    -- Homer S.

that dosn't discount in any way that the results that turned up did NOT contain the term "firefox", they should not have been returned at all.
    Exactly. What I find funny is that IE Home actually showed up. Someone deliberately put that in the search algorithm.
    -- Homer S.

BANNED
    Well, the first link that comes up has the word mozilla in the page.
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...1-a7773e82fa2c
    A Plug-in is a helper program that can be downloaded and installed to extend the functionality of a Mozilla-based Web browser. You may download and install the Windows Genuine Advantage Plug-in in order to use this web site for validation of your copy of Windows.
    And the whole p[age of results has firefox...
    Firefox Firefox includes a very comprehensive Import Wizard which is accessed from within Firefox via File , then Import . This wizard is able to import Internet Explorer’s Internet Options, cookies ...
    Opera 8.5 and Firefox Thread Starter: MichaelEaton Started: 22 Dec 2005 4:44 PM UTC Replies: 4 Windows OneCare » Windows OneCare » Windows OneCare Firewall » Opera 8.5 and Firefox ...
    Firefox as a browser. Was this post helpful ? Is it possible to use firefox as a browser on web tests? Report Abuse 13 Dec 2005, 5:58 PM UTC Josh Christie MS Posts 159 ...
    Yes, you can complete the validation process using the Firefox Web browser. Users of the Firefox browser are automatically offered a Firefox browser plug-in for WGA validation and instructions for ...

I get this as results: http://search.microsoft.com/results....n-US&q=firefox

The first link from that page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx

Has no mention of firefox or mozilla.......
    -- Homer S.

BANNED
    Originally posted here by Iron-Kurton
    Exactly. What I find funny is that IE Home actually showed up. Someone deliberately put that in the search algorithm.
    Go back to microsoft.com. Search firefox and go to the IE home page. Now open the page source and then open the edit tab and open find in this page. Now search for firefox and thet might explain why this page comes up.