Thread: Changing your boring startup screen to a cool funky one of your choice

Lightbulb Changing your boring startup screen to a cool funky one of your choice

This is an easy trick for windows 9x and I'm sure most of u know it, but if you dont then u can learn it from here.
    R u tired of your boring Start up screen? Want to make it cool and funky?
    Then try this-
    STEP 1- Go to MS Dos and Type
    Attrib *.sys
    [Press enter\Return]

This will bring this list on the screen-
    SHR C:\MSDOS.sys
    SHR C:\IO.sys
    A SHR C:\CONFIG.sys
    A SHR C:\logo.sys

On some computers, u may not have the last item on the list. There could be a file called logow.sys or the file could be present in the windows folder. In those cases, you should copy logow.sys to drive c from the windows folder. If u r a newbie and u don't know how 2 do so, then just type the following-

cd windows
    [Press enter\Return]
    copy logow.sys c:

You can also do this by using drag and drop method or copy, paste. (RMEMEBER, I SAID COPY, PASTE AND NOT CUT, COPY, PASTE) But this method can be insecure because one can easily mess up with the files. So always keep backups of your files.

This file is hidden system file and a read only file. To remove these attributes,
    STEP 1- Go to MS DOS
    STEP 2- Type the following-
    cd\
    [Press enter\Return]
    attrib logo.sys -s -h -r

This command will remove the attributes.

Next Go to MS Paint, open the file and fiddle with it. Save it back in its folder with the same name and extention.

Then set the same attributes by going to MS DOS and typing-
    attrib logo.sys +s +r +h

Now exit MS Dos and restart your computer.

Enjoy your new screen.
    (There r some softwares which can do the same but there is no fun using somebody else's software and call yourself a computer enthusiast)

This is more of a Tip or Trick.
    + there are many apps around these days that can perform this with a few clicks of the mouse.
    For instance. TweakXp's Utility Can do this tweak..

cheers
    front2back

I agree there are softwares which can do that but a true computer lover always should know each and every way a thing can be done. Beside there is no fun using an already made third party tool. You can't call yourself a computer enthusiast if you use a third party tool

Originally posted here by deadlydarkmax
    I agree there are softwares which can do that but a true computer lover always should know each and every way a thing can be done.
    Just like there's no fun when you have to format the hard drive, because you followed vague instruction's and screwed your Operating System up, because either the instructions were wrong, or that you weren't confident enough to perform the task correctly.
    Beside there is no fun using an already made third party tool. You can't call yourself a computer enthusiast if you use a third party tool
    I'm a computer enthusiast, and i use a lot of 3rd party app's. so i guess that make's me a non computer enthusiast then.?

cheers
    front2back

Well, This is kind of useful stuff. Thank u For it.

It's probably worth mentioning that this method is only for win98.

Changing your boot screen in XP has been made much harder but not impossible.
    Using a 3rd party app to do this with XP usualy patches your kernel and can therefore be quite dangerous for your system (it can fsuck your kernel and stop XP from booting).

If you would like to know the way to change the XP boot screen then let me know and I'll dig out some instructions.
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

I wouldn't advise anyone 'patching' their Windows XP kernels..
    It's NEVER safe to do so.. Not even when you trust the patch providers..
    It might break future updates for example..

This Win9x trick is safe however..
    It is just a bit lame since with MS Paint you can't get the animations in the boot logo..

A little google for animated logo.sys logow.sys will help you find examples and tools for animated Win 9x boot logo's..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I wouldn't advise anyone 'patching' their Windows XP kernels..
    It's NEVER safe to do so.. Not even when you trust the patch providers..
    It might break future updates for example..
    Agreed. I should have stressed this more.

For a purely cosmetic adjustment this is not worth it - too many possibilities for trouble.
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

Oh My,

The last time I saw that was in 1999 in Chapter 1, of "The Happy Hacker" by the wacky Carolyn Meinel.

But regardless, you can make some interesting screens.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.