Thread: Browsing internet jerky after re-install of os...?

Browsing internet jerky after re-install of os...?

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this problem. My computer had been running really slowly, so I decided to re-install the whole lot.

I have everything back up running, but now when I am in my web browser (ie) and I use the scroll button on my mouse (or drag the side bar to move the page up or down) the page moves but it is moving really really jerkily? (kind of like reading pdf files on a slow computer!) It never used to do this before the re-install, even when it was running slowly.

Can anyone think up a reason why? When I get home tonight I am going to try and download firefox and see if it is a explorer thing, but otherwise I'm stuck for ideas.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Andrew
    \"Get busy livin\', or get busy dyin\'...\" Come visit www.computer-tutorials.org

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your mouse driver maybe it got corrupted ... Maybe the mouse might be dying ?? Try cleaning it ... might be dirty ... that sometimes helps especially if it's a really old mouse and you haven't cleaned it ....

It might be and old one but you might wanna check the Device Manager and see if it is conflicting with another driver just in case ...

B.T.W. if you have another mouse lying around try that one and see if that helps ...

Any one else got any troubleshooting techniques ???
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

there aren't any I dont think, its just a standard (old mouse) just plug and play, no infa red or anything, its one of the old ones with a ball in?

Andrew
    \"Get busy livin\', or get busy dyin\'...\" Come visit www.computer-tutorials.org

check your system performance settings in the Tools Menu of Ie..
    Have you downloaded all the relevant patches for Windows? have you installed the Graphics Drivers and downloaded any new updates for it.?
    Maybe turn your turn your Visual Settings to low to see if that solves the problem.
    Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Tab -> Under Performance click the settings button, and choose the option to let windows choose the best options..

just a few ideas i thought i would throw into the discussion.

cheers
    front2back

When you say have I installed my graphics drivers, should I put in the CD that came with my graphics card and run it? I wasn't aware that I had to re-run this. I will try all the things that you have said though.

Thanks
    Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Take the mouse (with machine turned off) twist the scrotal plate and remove the testicle

errr twist the little plate and take the ball out................

Clean the ball with isopropyly alcohol (cigarette lighter fluid will do at a pinch). Then look inside the mouse,; you will see two roller bars at 90o to eachother and a little wheel at about 45o to those two.

Use a cocktail stick and a Q-Tip soaked in alcohol to clean them thoroughly. The little brush for cleaning electric razors and an Edwardian ladies manicure set are also quite useful, as I have found, but a small blade screwdiver or nail file will suffice.

You should find a load of gunge on the rollers and wheel; so clean it off.

Start up, go into Control Panel and select the mouse, then play with the sensitivity settings, particularly your scoll settings. You should have options like 1 line, 3 lines, page at a time?

When you re-installed you went back to the defaults or something?

Just a thought.

I think it might be your scroll settings, but you might as well do the rest?

sounds like you need to update your graphics drivers
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Thanks guys. Just to let you all know it was just drivers I needed to install. The ones I had I had obviously updated off the new prior to my install, which I had forgotten.

Thanks
    Andy