Thread: How much of it changed?

Banned

Question How much of it changed?

Hello All,

I have been learning VB6 on my own with the Sams books and similar ones and was wondering, should I stop where I am and pick up the new ones for the .Net VB or should I continue reading the VB6 books?

I ask this because it looks like they are the same except for a few GUI changes and for some functionality changes.

So my question basically is, is there a major difference between VB6 and VB.Net? Are what I am learning about in VB6 useless in VB.Net?

Thanks!

VB.NET has changed a little bit and is actually turning into a respectable programming language. However, learning VB6 isn't a complete waste.

Is it a better idea to pick up a VB.NET book? Depends, really. Do you want to make use of the .NET framework? Are you just learning programming to program? These are good questions to think about. But again, I think its a good idea to just continue what you are doing.

Hi,

I am far from being an expert on this topic, but I just wanted to share some thoughts.

I have programmed in VB.NET, and while it is a respectable programming language, I did not like it as much as VB6. First of all, VB.NET seemed to be too bloated for me - I felt like I was returning to the days of BASIC, where everything is so easy that it can hardly be called programming. This is not really true, but it seemed that the fun and joy of programming was being slowly depleted by VB.NET.

However, if you want to make use of VB.NET for the simple reason that its framework makes programming much easier, then sure! It is not very hard to learn, and is quite flexible (although VB6 is much moreso).

In summary: VB.NET is good for making prototypes (because less time is needed to program them), and VB6 is better for creating a stable application (because it is faster).

You might want to take a look at the following articles on the subject:

Business issues of .NET development
    VB.NET faces off against Classic VB
    Comparing VB.NET to VB6

There are also quite a few threads available from a quick Google search which should help you decide.

Good luck!

-jk

Re: How much of it changed?

So my question basically is, is there a major difference between VB6 and VB.Net? Are what I am learning about in VB6 useless in VB.Net?
    Hi Tyger Claw!

Just some thoughts...
    I have developed with VB6 between 1999 and 2002, I even have an MS certification for desktop apps with VB6. Since 2002 I began developing with .Net.
    Usually, I like using the latest tools for everything, and for that matter, I tend to use the newest things available on the market.
    That aside, I would recommend you to focus your studies in .Net development.

With VB6 you can:
    - Create COM components easily.
    - Build desktop applications rapidly.
    - The learning curve is probably shorter than with .Net.
    - You have a bunch of UI controls available on the net which are easy to use.
    - 'Edit and continue' while debugging desktop apps.

However is not easy to:
    - Create distributed apps.
    - Build and debug web apps.

Well, with .Net I may say the following:
    - You can create reusable components easily.
    - It is _very_ easy and fast to create web apps.
    - It is truly OOP compliant.
    - It's easy to create distributed apps.
    - You have typed datasets.
    - You may use ADO.Net which is the new object model for data access.
    - You have a security model, and you may use CAS (Code access security)
    - You may develop web services.

Basically, it is VERY different. It is not just a new version. They re wrote the whole thing from scratch. Also when you are writing programs with VB.Net you are using the .Net framework, so if you later decide to switch to (lets say) C#, it shouldn't be that hard because you will be using the same framework.

I wouldn't say that you are wasting time with VB6, because I believe that knowledge is good. However, if I were you, I would start taking a look at VB.Net.
    Recently they launched the new version of .Net (Visual Studio 2005, with Framework 2.0).
    Also, you have to consider that the market is (mostly) not considering VB6 for new projects. I mean, you may find requirements for VB6 developers, but they are mostly for maintaining old apps. Generally, new developments are carried out with the latest languages.

Just my view, I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Banned
    Thanks for all the info.

I'll explain myself a little better so that everyone can understand such an odd question

I'm with everyone, why learn older stuff when business' are asking for the new stuff.

Just with this case, here's what.

I've acquired several books on how-to learn for VB6 from several professors at local colleges. I got the books for free at the end of the year two years ago before my move to Kitchener/Waterloo.

I don't plan on learning this for a career move. It was for personal knowledge. However, from what I've read, it has answered my question.

Had it been relatively similar, I would have continued to learn VB6 and just migrate to .Net afterwards and learn the new changes, but since it would basically be a loss of time learning something and then having to relearn most of it afterwards, I'd rather just jump into VB.Net. I basically got the "basics" of VB6, which I will carry over to .Net

So anyone want some VB6 Books?