Thread: Your Cell Records For Sale Online, Cheap

Your Cell Records For Sale Online, Cheap

Hello, I just read the following on Slashdot and thought I would share.

"The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that your phone records are for sale online to the general public. From the article 'The Chicago Police Department is warning officers their cell phone records are available to anyone -- for a price. Dozens of online services are selling lists of cell phone calls, raising security concerns among law enforcement and privacy experts.' One of these sites is selling cell phone records for $110 for a month's worth of calls. No court order needed, no credentials required. If they want your records and have the money, they get 'em."
    I found this a little bothersome and thought I would do a quick search on Google for it.

The following came up as a sponsored link: http://datatraceusa.com/
    Another sponsered link on the right: http://www.backgroundsearcher.us/
    This one had the title "Suspect cheating?": http://www.cellulartrace.com/

This all bothers me too much. When will our private data become... well I may sounds crazy for saying this but... PRIVATE!

-Deeboe

P.S. If you reply to this message, be sure to include your home address, SSN, eye color, fingerprint scan, bloodtype, and urine sample.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Banned
    I think that's terrible too. However it does depend what wireless service you use. You can minimize the amount of spoken capture by using GSM as appose to TDMA. But nothing stops from a celltower from being "tapped" and recorded. This is especially true in the States and other countries where the cellular provider does not own the towers but rents them from regular folks who own one in their backyard.

BTW, I'd give you a urine sample, but I think people in my office would wonder why I'm peeing on my monitor

Re: Your Cell Records For Sale Online, Cheap

Originally posted here by Deeboe
    P.S. If you reply to this message, be sure to include your home address, SSN, eye color, fingerprint scan, bloodtype, and urine sample.
    All has been sent under separate cover, except urine sample. I have to drink another pot of coffee first.

I just looked at the urban legends site, just to make sure, and there were like six paid advertising links at the top after I searched for "cell phone records." Yeah, that is a concern. Wonder if I can tell my provider to not make any of that information publicly available?

Next activity, call cell phone provider.

Greeting's

This is especially true in the States and other countries where the cellular provider does not own the towers but rents them from regular folks who own one in their backyard.
    Got one in our building.

But on serious note in our country getting some one's bill (all number dialed during his billing cycle) is VERY easy plus it includes amount of time spent on the call, time the call was made and texts sent . for something more detailed like service's particular person has activated when did he last pay his bill at which place using what mode of payment is also as easy as a phone call (BUT ITS ALL FREE, FREE, FREE.)

Finally if you want to know the main area a customer roams a lot or other details you might have to pay anywhere ranging from 10$ to 50$.

All this is done offiline no website required all done low tech by a CRA.

Humans

Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    ByteWrangler, care to expand on this? What does CRA stand for? How does one go about doing this? Is it limited to particular service providers and carriers, or is it ubiquitous?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Greeting's

CRA stands for customer representative's. Here systems give out all possible data about the customer to anyone who works for the company or is an agent for the company. I'm not sure of how to explain this. It includes no technological hack or even social engineering but here anyone working for the company can get all the info about a customer by typing his number and pressing enter. Data is not classified

I don't know the systems in US or for that matter any other country except mine. But if you know anyone from the service provider all the info you need is yours. This sounds really disturbing but then giving out your net banking password to a cafe owner so he can log you in ... is not exactly respect toward's security.

I'm sorry if what I'm trying to say is not clear but there is nothing like security here. People here take security too lightly. I've mentioned this earlier in Tiger Shark's thread about "Dell's policy" but admins here know almost nothing they don't care if I can get your SSN or anything that I can use to identify you. the situation is not as bad as before but I'm sure until you get first hand experience you will not understand what i mean.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.