my computer is seriously dying...

Thread: my computer is seriously dying...

Banned

my computer is seriously dying...

from all of a suddent it just gets completly stuck. everything freezes in place and there's absolutely nothing you can do but hard-boot it. if it's playing any sound it will get stuck and go somthing like a broken record "ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta...... etc etc"

what can be the problem. to me it seems like a overheating issue but the damn bios says everthing is normal ...

it happens maybe every 2 hours it used to happend more often (every 10 minutes) but i cannot figure out what i did to make it happen less

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Try these:

1) Check whether the FAN is running properly or not.
    2) Check the processes there might be something there eating away all the available memory.
    3) The most important step, Just change your RAM slot or take it out and plug it in again in many cases like this it work. Atleast for me
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Banned
    hmmmm... RAM slot ... that's interesting

let me see

BRB

Yes,

Take out the RAM and clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol or a proprietary cleaner, and blow out the slot with compressed air. Do the same with the video card if you have one.

Another thing to try is to disable sleep/snooze and all power saving functions, and the screensaver.

Then look at your background processes like malware scanning and automatic updating. Disable them all to begin with and progressively re-enable them.

Apart from possible hardware issues, this behaviour is typical of a "deadly embrace" between two applications. They try to use the same resource, and the system does not know which one to give priority to.

Whilst you are at it, update your AV and anti-malware programs. Boot into safe mode and run them. Then defragment your HDD in safe mode

Finally, check for updated drivers for your sound and video cards. I have seen these symptoms with some games, and it appeared to be an audio/video problem that updating the drivers fixed

Good luck mate!

Don't have heaps of programs, and windows open etc etc..

all i can think of at the moment.

I've had sound go crazy like that before. Could be hardware conflict,
    especially if you just changed anything. Some times it's a driver.
    I had one machine lock up whenever a sound was played (running linux),
    so I disabled the on board sound and installed a card.

I'd check all the usual suspects, dirt, loose wires, etc. and update the sound driver
    before panicking and reinstalling the operating system.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I agree with rcgreen

Could be hardware conflict, especially if you just changed anything. Some times it's a driver.
    Sound and video card conflicts are surprisingly common.......................I guess I would describe it as "firmware" (drivers).

rcgreen has a good point there, if you have sound and video cards, please make sure that any onboard stuff is disabled. That is another classic cause of conflict.

Banned
    as a matter of fact i just put in an old rivaTNT because the fan on my geforce crapped out. so until i get a new fan i put in the TNT so i don't damage geforece... everything started happening from then...

Ah!

That sounds like the answer. Did you uninstall the GeForce before removing it?

I would look for drivers for the rivaTNT and try installing those.

If you are using XP and generic drivers, they may not actually support that old video card.

I did almost the exact same thing awhile back. Here's the thread I created about it..lol

Create Your Very Own System Freezes!

Thatís right! You can be the proud creator and owner of your very own System Freezes! Act now and be the first one on your LAN or Home Network to enjoy the full benefits and satisfaction of this special offer. How can you get this once in a lifetime chance to spend countless hours of self-imposed troubleshooting? How can you be as lucky as I was and waste your precious time?

All of this fun can be yours for the low cost of installing one additional fan in your tower. Thatís right! Well Relyt that just doesnít seem possible! Friends, Iím here to tell you that I just couldnít believe it until I experienced it for myself for almost a whole month! So you wonít want to miss this opportunity!

To immediately take advantage of this special offer, go into one of those boxes of old computer parts you have been storing and grab a fan. Donít bother reading the label beyond where it says 12V DC. But jump right in and quickly install that bugger, hook the wiring connectors up, and then fire up the computer. Shortly thereafter, you will be enjoying the pleasures of creating and owning your very own intermittent System Freezes!

Moral of this story: Donít use a Power Supply Fan from an old AT Box as a Cooling Fan without comparing Voltage and Amp requirements!

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.