Phantom Technologies

Thread: Phantom Technologies

Phantom Technologies

Hey Hey,

Has anyone heard of Phantom Technologies or used their products before (a quick search turned up not even the slightest mention of them)... www.iphantom.com. They seem to offer two products... (www.iphantom.com/product.html)...

The iPhantom™ is a comprehensive Internet security device for your PC and home network that is lightweight, portable, and easy to use. The iPhantom™ is the first of its kind to make enterprise-level network security available at an affordable price. The iPhantom™ offers high-end Gateway Antivirus protection (GAV), Gateway Spyware and Adware prevention, Firewall with deep Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), Intrusion Prevention Service (IPS), Internet data and Identity Protection using strong AES encryption. With hardware accelerated encryption and Freescale™ Coldfire™ architecture, the iPhantom™ is unparalleled in the industry.
    The iBoss™ is a revolutionary Internet management device that is powerful and extremely easy to use. Incorporating state of the art hardware architecture, the iBoss™ provides a PC or network with total Internet control, allowing a user to manage their Internet connection. Users can block access to specific online programs (i.e. online chat and messenger programs, file sharing, web browsing). The iBoss™ generates reports on Internet activity which can be viewed and automatically E-mailed. Unlike software solutions, one device guards an entire network and makes tampering difficult. Little computer experience is required!
    I was channel surfing the other day and Leo Laporte had Steve Gibson on his show (Call For Help) so I had to stop and watch and laugh... If anyone here saw it they know what I mean... Gibson tried to explain scripting on the net and didn't bother to differentiate between client side and server side... just said that all web scripting was bad because it executed code on your computer.... He also had a horrid explanation of a VPN and Tunnelling technologies.. but that's rather off topic...

One of the products that Leo kept pushing while he was doing the show was the iPhantom... it seemed like a nifty little thing.. It seems to have more functionality than the Symantec Gateway Security Applicances (320 and 360/360R) and is a fraction of the cost... I know some businesses that run the 360R and recommend it to their customers but sometimes cost is a problem... if anyone has heard good things about it this may be a cost effective alternative.. May also be something I'd consider getting in at my office.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The key is here:-

Each iPhantom is programmed with a unique identifier and a unique key. This ensures that each iPhantom will have its own private key which is different from every other iPhantom. The identifier and the key are used to negotiate sessions with Phantom Gateways. This process will be explained later.

The Phantom Gateways are concentrators that reside at a high-end, world class datacenter with access to various Internet backbones. They are custom designed hardware with multiple processors dedicated solely to processing data coming from and going to the iPhantoms. At a very high level, the iPhantom connects with the Phantom Gateways which provide a high level of security
    They are VPNing you into their network which they secure..... Nice concept for the average user.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hey Hey,

Leo was talking about that on the show... That could bring up a whole new set of security concerns with the product..

Are their servers secure? Are their servers fast enough? How private is your information...

It's sort of an interesting concept... but is it trustworthy?

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

HTRegz

Not only that, what is the right answer today may be quite different six months down the line?

So it's essentially a managed vpn solution for end customers, my problem is in a years time will they start charging customers for data being sent through their servers?

Or will they go bust and customers are left with whats essentially a dead box

Memnoch

Hey guys,

I actually have had one for the past 5 months or so. I really does work, the offer bidirectional 256 bit AES encryption. The speed is unmatched by any other product out there, I have tried them all. It does about 4mb throughput, if you have anything higher then you will see speed impacts but not horrible considering what its doing. Also provides the gateway antivirus,spyware,etc. $10 bucks a mo. with unlimited bandwith. I called and checked about there servers, call the tech support number not the sales as the sales is an outside company that handles orders. These guys are cool, bunch of engineers with no hype or b.s. They actually know there ****. The CEO is published, the company is legit. They offer a 30 day no questions asked money back. I would recommend it,

Joe

I'd actually be wary of anyone using their first post top push some new product. Anyone seen that newspost at penny arcade about that guy who woulda had to create identities on forums to sell produts?

Sorry you feel that way, I have been to the forum for quite some time to get advise and ideas of new products. I do not post on this site nor other sites that I visit as I usually just read what people are talking about. Whenever I can give my two cents, I do. In this case, I saw no one using this reply to the thread so I felt I should. Is that not the idea behind this forum. And to be honest, I am no different from you in that I am wary of new co. claiming great things. I really did take the time to check them out and actually called them. They are is So. Cal and when I talked to them they are a nice group of guys that no their ****. Thats all, believe it or not, its up to you. Do your homework. If you are going to speculate someone or something, actually review it first. The idea that you are going to credit or discredit something you know nothing about is quite ignorant.

Hmm, sorry but I'm paranoid now, thanks to the new revelations. You do seem like a nice guy, but since this is a security forum, I guess the paranoia isn't really well-founded.