Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ***confusion/doubts about hacking***

***confusion/doubts about hacking***

I dont care if i get flamed ( as i have been in some other websites) and till no i have not got a satisfactory answer to this question.As this question is very relative, googling it dosnet make sence as it can be answered by only knowledge and experience.
    I taught myself html java scripting php and linux(i am still in nwbie level) and C. when i started challanges on hackthissite and try2hack noticed that i needed knowledge of shtml mysql applet programmming vb cgi pearl and many other stuff.This is gettng way out of hand as i am confused as what to learn and leave.
    There seems to be so much to learn so i what should i do ,on what should a begginer like me concrate on.
    AS you can see i am particularly intrested in web based i also want to learn socket programming , although in collage they are going to teach me c from the second semester i would like to know the real applications of c programming , not to learn mathmatics using c.
    How do i suppose i do that (the real applications of c programming), would you suggest i read codes from open source porjects or do you people have any other suggestions.
    AS web and operating systems are closely realted i want to know how t understand windows( as i can get information on understanding linux a lot easier by googling on the subject)
    i know i need to learn about registery and stuff but is batch file programming necessary in GUI environment . are there any other special programming launguages i need to know to understand windows, if so then pleae name it along with its level (newbie middle expert) newbie meaning i need not know anyother programming language to learn that launguage.
    for example cgi may be treated as middle level because it requires knowledge of pearl
    How important is assembly launguage in todays computing environment.
    Thanks in advance and wishing you all a belated happy new year 2006 orion9
    you look up and a bird shits in the sky ,you fall on your knees and thank god that buffalos dont fly.

Well, there are people here way more qualified to answer most of your questions.

My advice is to be careful of using the word "hacking" as its meaning has changed, and means different things to different people. An old fart such as myself would take it to mean possessing considerable skills and knowledge together with the ability to produce innovative workarounds.

I believe that what you are describing is more correctly known as "wargaming"?

As a general thought, I still believe that batch file processing still has a place, and is worth learning.

When I was asking for a drink of water I was provided a fully charged firehose to sip from. Just as I couldn't consume all the water rapidly flowing out of the firehose, you cannot learn everything in a short period of time. Hell not even in a few years! Sounds like you are trying to learn too much too quick(placing unrealistic goals upon yourself) and you will only become mediocre at all of them. First, I would follow the learning sequence that is provided in college. If you want to add to it, try to decide what you what to be doing in the next few years. pick one language that corresponds to that, master it and then move on with another to help you accomplish the original goal. You will see a ton similairities between all of them and it does get easier as you go along.

Now the math part of the scenario. Everything revolves around math. Whether we are talking about the Internet connnection you are using to come to AO or the Earth in it's orbit. Everything is dependent upon math, even populating the earth. Don't we subtract clothes, add ourselves, and multiply?

Anyway, just as learning a language is progressive, math is the same and very much a part of it. We learn concept upon concept. No math = no programming.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Relyt is spot on as usual. You do need the math, but you can insofar as your courses allow, be a bit selective.

For example I have found algebra (particularly matrix algebra) and statistics to be very useful

I would guess that if you were into design then geometry would come in handy? (it certainly helps when you are laying new floor tiles in the john )

Relyt's right,you do seem to be in a rather big hurry to become ub3r l33t..relax,take a deep breath and all that
    As already suggested,orient yourself towards what you want to do.Computers're a very vast field and the best(read as least time consuming) to gain knowledge is to try and become a master of one trade rather than try to juggle bits and pieces all around.You want to code,fine,decide which language,and read as much as you can upon it.(practice,obviously,being the other important aspect)..you want to learn about an OS,fine,there're a million sites on the web and a LOT of good books that you can refer to.It's admirable that you've started teaching yourself,it's the best way to learn in my opinion.Assembly language,hmm,not very unless you plan to go into that line of work.
    Feel free to post or pm me if you have any doubts.

Cheers

Re: ***confusion/doubts about hacking***

Originally posted here by orion9

AS you can see i am particularly intrested in web based i also want to learn socket programming , although in collage they are going to teach me c from the second semester i would like to know the real applications of c programming , not to learn mathmatics using c.
    How do i suppose i do that (the real applications of c programming), would you suggest i read codes from open source porjects or do you people have any other suggestions.
    AS web and operating systems are closely realted i want to know how t understand windows( as i can get information on understanding linux a lot easier by googling on the subject)
    i know i need to learn about registery and stuff but is batch file programming necessary in GUI environment . are there any other special programming launguages i need to know to understand windows, if so then pleae name it along with its level (newbie middle expert) newbie meaning i need not know anyother programming language to learn that launguage.
    for example cgi may be treated as middle level because it requires knowledge of pearl
    How important is assembly launguage in todays computing environment.
    Thanks in advance and wishing you all a belated happy new year 2006 orion9

I think one mistake you are making is in telling yourself that learning how to do complicated mathmatics in C is not useful. I would venture to say that every really good programmer has to understand how to do complicated problems in C, which is almost always gained by doing mathmatical exercises. Understanding data structures, and how to quickly and efficiently manipulate data structures is key to being a good programmer. It just teaches great logic skills. If you don't understand complex logic problems, you might as well give it up on being a very well versed programmer.

I say that batch programming is necessary in a GUI environment. I'm a systems engineer/administrator managing a large number of machines. I use batch programming almost daily to get things done across a large number of machines in short order. However, a really good friend of mine is a .Net developer and I would venture to guess that he probably never uses batch programming.

The other people who have replied are accurate in that it sounds like you are trying to learn to much to quick. You need to find one thing that you like, and stick with it. If you want to do OS level programming in C, learn to do that and don't sweat the other stuff. It will take you quit a while to really master using C. And you will find that you can do everything you want in C. I use batch programming because it is easy and fast, and no need for a compiler. A person that is very well versed in C would use C because that is what they are comfortable with. Always remember that for any task you need to get done, you can probably come up with hundreds, if not thousands of different ways of doing it.

First and foremost, I beleave that the biggest problem here is that these kids are the first to make attempts at living up to other's expectations. If he does take it easy then there is a large chance this won't do much for his particular "problem". Lets say, ten years down the line he's almost seen and done it all but has never reached a point where he can feel both smart and hip calling himself a l33t h4x0r d00d.

I think everyone should ******** things...

You can be one of these kids who go around calling themselves or others hackers. Or you can do what actually interests you with computers and just leave it at that. You'll have a much better chance of making others think your smart and cool through the latter anyway, IMHO.

Originally posted here by Penelope Mills
    First and foremost, I beleave that the biggest problem here is that these kids...
    Penelope Mills' birthday: 1987-10-14

His birthday: 1987-12-09

Connection refused, try again later.

Yeah, I assume that all h4x0rs are younger than I am. When one turns out to be older then it adds to the humor.

Two rules.

[list=1][*]Computers are fun.[*]Don't neglect your love life.[/list=1]

I am reminded of that great hacking movie "War Games". There was this kid
    who wasn't really brilliant. He just knew a few tricks that made him smarter
    than the average computer user. He used these skills to accomplish two
    things.

[list=1][*]Almost start a nuclear war.[*]Impress his girl friend.[/list=1]

Have fun and don't neglect your love life.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.