Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ***confusion/doubts about hacking***

in the end it all comes up to what he wants to do.

get into websites, get passwords.
    defacing websites.
    penetration testing.
    crack full version programs and use them for free.
    get into networks, compromise security and stuff like that.

you know most of them are illegal

orion9 is already doing college. he not only has the study material but also the teachers from whom he can learn.
    from his question here, what he wants is stuff like "website? members? passwords?........no porbs....use this tool(very helpful)"

one has to learn slowly, understand what is going on in own computer to understand how to get into others. how to secure own website to understand how to get into another.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

orion9, before anyone can give you suggestions on what you should learn, we need to know your goals. if you just want to "hack" (i personally like the older definitions better) websites and beat the challenge then it can be relatively simple. because you are in college and learning C im assuming u are a little more serious about it than that and actually want to make a career out of it.

find out what you love about computers and what you want to do. then find out how to go about getting there.

i can definately sympathize with wanting to learn as much as i can about computers as humanly possible. im a sophomore in high school and am teaching myself 2 languages (perl, C++) and learning a 3rd at school (python). im setting up a linux cluster (with possibly a DOS/Unix dual boot mixed in) in my basement out of recycled computers from friends. Im already planning my senior project (an IDS cluster in the schools network) while most comp. sci. students dont really care. as you can tell im a bit of an over achiever so i have to say thanks to all those guys who just posted about slowing down and making sure you can do what you love to well and then moving on to other things to enhance that.

hope you are succesful in your studies
    -Godsrock37
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

rcgreen,

After a while it becomes:

1) Your love life is fun
    2) Don't neglect computers

Cheers
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

These "Hacker" Posts crack me up. I AM A HACKER! Not because I want to deface web sites or steal someone's Credit Card Number, but because when I first started working with computers...... Pay Attention.......

THERE WERE NO MANUALS

No College courses, no certification paths, no World Wide Web and least of all no Google. You could not get a Masters in Computer Science. Back then it was called Engineering.

So to my point. If you want to know how computers work, you want to be a Hacker, and you don't know where to start. Start with yourself. What do you want to do? What do you want your computer to do?

Answer these questions and then decide if you want to use other peoples knowledge or gain the knowledge on your own.

You have the advantage I did not. Some one has already written it down for you. The steps are documented. And the best thing is you don't have to know all the logic gates on an Intel Processor (Assembly)

God forbid you would have to would have to define your arrays as

mov al, [B + 3]
    mov al, [B + 4]
    mov al, [A + 10]
    mov al, [A + 15]
    mov al, [B - 3]
    mov al, [C - 10]

Anyway, Relax and decide what you want to do. Jack of all trades does not come from School (In this field anyway). Learn what you want to do and learn it well. Everything else will come with experience. And remember rule #1 What goes around comes around. You use your skills for bad and it will BYTE you in the ass at some point in time.

Peace

Dino

just a side note: Learn how things work. Try to understand why you want something to move from a to d without using c. Once you understand the why's and what's; the how's will become simple.

PM me if you want more clarification.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Your missing your base/index actually.

So, dino, what's wrong with assembly? Everyone should learn assembly!

Originally posted here by rapier57
    So, dino, what's wrong with assembly? Everyone should learn assembly!

LOL I learned assembly on a 8080 processor. That was easy. I wouldn't even attempt writing something in assembly on todays processors. Not with debug anyway.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

So much to learn, so little time. *sigh*

Its a delimma im sure most of us face. Its not unusual if u think theres too much stuff to learn out there and u are having a hard time catching up. To be honest, we all are in same boots.

Technology changes rapidly and even the experts themselves try to catch up by taking courses every now and then. Just take it easy. Best way to know what to learn first is set urself a goal and plot ur way through.

U got ur targets set, u wanted to do web based stuff. Segment it down to web dev and networking.

I took courses myself, and to be honest, half of them are already obselete. I also read stuff constantly. Security news, tutorials, pdf documents i downloaded over p2p. If u want to focus on a specific subject, theres boundless information out there.

I remember it took me months of reading pdf files, visiting sites and reading tutorials to get a good grasp of how VPN actually works. Great help i had with VPN was when i got my current job and one of the IT Support guys actually explain to me how our VPN works. Practical learning is a lot more informative than theory. So id suggest u also hang around with the right crowd.

Just take it easy buddy, it will all come to u in time. dont force urself to learn too much in a short period of time. If theres anything "hacking" has ever taught me, its patience. Gotta have it, if u wanna make it.

Hi, until you realise that hacking is a long and dreary process of trial and error and not a spoon fed meal that mommy and daddy are going to give you over a week, I'll leave you with this quote from the book "Fight Club".

May I never be complete. May I never be content. May I never be perfect.

Think about it.
    May I never be complete. May I never be content. May I never be perfect.

First i want to clarify these points
    *** whenb i said i want to learn about web programming i ment tcp/ip vpn and other stuuf in that feild I DONT PLAN TO HACK INTO WEBSITES ,CRACK SOFTWARE OR PASSWORDS OR GOING TO JAIL.
    ************* I HAVE A SPECIAL THING FOR WEB PROGRAMMING BECAUSE H.T.M.L IS THE FIRST THING I LEARN ABOUT AS A """PROGRAMMING''" LAUNGUAGE(in essence GET AN OUTPUT THAT I WANTED)
    *****I brough in that maths comment beause in our collage right now they are just teaching to find lets seee........to convert degrees into radians searching out strings in a given array NOT TO FIND THE LENGHT OF AN TANGENT TO A PARABOLA when a third order exact lenear diffrential equation is given
    ******IN OUR UNIVERSITY WE CALL IT Bachelors of/in Engineering (computer science)
    you look up and a bird shits in the sky ,you fall on your knees and thank god that buffalos dont fly.