View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Student accused of trying to crash school's computer system

Talking Student accused of trying to crash school's computer system

I read this earlier, I think it is just a little extreme, all he did was create a website... "When enough users logged on and hit the F5 button, it overloaded the school's system.".... I mean isn't this the case with any webpage. Kinda funny nevertheless (I think thats a word).

Student accused of trying to crash school's computer system

Created: 1/5/2006 5:12:50 PM
    Updated:1/6/2006 4:41:18 PM

UNIONTOWN -- A Stark County high school senior has been arrested and charged for allegedly trying to crash his school's computer system.

Police say the student created a website, which connected to the school's system.

When enough users logged on and hit the F5 button, it overloaded the school's system.

But, Lake High School caught-on before the system crashed. Its computers started slowing down.

"It's a crime and it is important we take this seriously ... especially for school officials ... it could have done a tremendous amount of damage," said Canton City Prosecutor Frank Fronchione.

Stone is charged with a felony and could face jail time.

But, prosecutors say community service is more likely and disciplinary action from the school.

© 2005

WKYC-TV
    Source: http://www.wkyc.com/akron/akron_arti...?storyid=45721
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way

He-heh, maybe it was homework? Hope he wasn't hoping for extra credit on this one...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Looking at the article it looks like the kid had an external website that the school had to trace the owner of. That would have probably required the police to get involved in order to get the info and shut it down. It was essentialy a denial of service attack on his school. I would argue that jailing him for this would be harsh, but something needs to be done. I would vote for an official caution and punishment from the school.
    If everything looks perfect, then there is something you don\'t know

Looks like a clear case of a DoS attack. I mean really:

When enough users logged on and hit the F5 button, it overloaded the school's system.
    Obvious complicity.................hey, how dynamic is a school network likely to be? yet all these bozos signed on and kept hitting the refresh key?

Not only did he set it up, he orchestrated it as well

That story made the front page of digg.com. The schools website hasnt been seen since.

LOL, I bet having the story on digg.com did a hell of alot more damage than the kid did
    I\'m Dying To Find Out The Hard Way

Maybe that was the kid's plan all along....
    If everything looks perfect, then there is something you don\'t know

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by nihil

Not only did he set it up, he orchestrated it as well

Suggest cut off digits, joint by joint, 3x10 = only 30 mini chops yummy, yummy for starters(only hands for the moment). I always get a bit depressed at the start of a new year
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Maybe he figured that prison chow was better than his school dinners?

Tinned peaches......................yeuk!

http://lake.stark.k12.oh.us/adminoff...teria/menu.php

hey

How was the kid able to relate his website to the school's server? This is possible only by two ways:

1. Hacking
    2. He saw the details written over somewhere

The second case is unlikely to happen. This leaves us to just one possibility that the kid got the details thru some illegal means. And then generated a Dos attack as said by "nihil". This comes under the cyber crime and must face the jail. However, he may be spared considering his age.

The motive behind it can b anything. It can be a revenge if the kid has failed in some exams. Or it can b someother person also tryin to teach the kid the whole thing(kinda using the kid as weapon), who turned back when his plan failed!!
    CodeNameVirus