Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popular screen savers help

Popular screen savers help

I got this popularscreensavers.com software on my PC. Check out gallery.popularscreensavers.com
    I liked some of the pics so I downloaded the images.

I see that I cant enlarge the pics in-browser, so I look for them in my program files. I find a folder full of the preview pics and I note the names. (check picture)

Then I see a folder full of .DAT files with file names that match the previews. These are obviosly the pics. (see pics) I find some other weird files in there too so I open them up with a text editor. (see pic) You can now see where all these pics originally came from. (see pic)

Can anyone help me get the pics from these .Dat or w/e? Check out my screen shots you will see exactly whats going on. If you want me to attach one of the .dats let me know.

I liked some of the pics so I downloaded the images.
    Why don't you just click on the original pictures on the website, and you should be given the full sized version of the thumbnail..
    Or if the site won't give you a full sized version, then just view the source code of the website, and you should be able to work out were the full sized picture is located.

cheers
    front2back

The pages are .jsp there is nothing to right click.

The pages are .jsp there is nothing to right click.
    Can you please explain how .jsp is related to right click.

Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    ... Or if the site won't give you a full sized version, then just view the source code of the website, and you should be able to work out were the full sized picture is located...
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

Well, unless things have changed dramatically a .dat file is just a file containing data of some sort. It could be just about anything, there is no standard format or related application.

The basic rule is that you need to open it in the application that created it, or something written for the purpose.

It sounds as if you have not downloaded all the screensaver application software, not installed it or whatever.

Originally posted here by :Singh:
    Can you please explain how .jsp is related to right click.
    Before I tried viewing the source code I tried right clicking on the image to see where it came from, nothing happened. Then I tried viewing the source code and its all java script and says nothing about any pics.

Well, unless things have changed dramatically a .dat file is just a file containing data of some sort. It could be just about anything, there is no standard format or related application.

The basic rule is that you need to open it in the application that created it, or something written for the purpose.

It sounds as if you have not downloaded all the screensaver application software, not installed it or whatever.
    [/QUOTE]

The software is all in browser

Also I found where the pics are coming from but I cant access the site 'cus I need a username and pwd for the FTP.

Maybe I didnt explain my problem well enough, the software works fine I just want the pictures it's using. Their is a feature to set one of the pics as your wallpaper, when I do this and try to do a Print Screen the pic is gone and all that is their is blue.

OK, so it's a BHO or plugin of some sort?

It sounds like your download and/or installation of the software was corrupt. I would try:

1. Uninstalling it.
    2. Download it again.
    3. Unzip it (if required)
    4. Scan it for malware, viruses, adware etc
    5. Log off the internet and disconnect from your ISP.
    6. Switch off your AV, Firewall, Anti-malware applications.
    7. Reinstall

You will probably need administrator rights.

Maybe I didnt explain my problem well enough, the software works fine I just want the pictures it's using. Their is a feature to set one of the pics as your wallpaper, when I do this and try to do a Print Screen the pic is gone and all that is their is blue.
    Ok i can see were the problem is, you see the pictures are stored remotely on the programs server, and therefore there is no picture actually stored on your computer.
    So you are given a option to select a new wallpaper, and then when you press to use it, the program then grabs the file from the server using it's inbuilt credentials, and mirrors the picture on your desktop..

That's why when you try to capture the screen, nothing appears. cause it's there but it's not. It's like when you try to get a screen dump of a movie that your watching in winamp, everything else appears but the picture..

So the .dat file would just be the credentials that the program uses to grab the file in question i'm guessing.

hope this makes sense, might clean the post up once i've woken up properly and had a few more coffee's..

cheers
    front2back

Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    Ok i can see were the problem is, you see the pictures are stored remotely on the programs server, and therefore there is no picture actually stored on your computer.
    So you are given a option to select a new wallpaper, and then when you press to use it, the program then grabs the file from the server using it's inbuilt credentials, and mirrors the picture on your desktop..

That's why when you try to capture the screen, nothing appears. cause it's there but it's not. It's like when you try to get a screen dump of a movie that your watching in winamp, everything else appears but the picture..

So the .dat file would just be the credentials that the program uses to grab the file in question i'm guessing.

hope this makes sense, might clean the post up once i've woken up properly and had a few more coffee's..

cheers
    front2back
    YEA! I think. I think those .Dats maybe the pics but but are encrypted. I think the software un-encrypts the .dats. See I just need a way to convert the .Dat to a pic or gain access to the guarded FTP site the .dats are comin from (which would be illegal )

viperbo21

I have a ".dat" file on my computer, and I'd like to open it up and see what's inside. What is a .dat file, and what application do I use to look at it?

In short: there's no way to tell.

The problem is that many applications use the file extension ".dat" to indicate a file that contains data.

But that's exactly all it tells us, and that's not enough.

The problem is that so many different programs use ".dat" that it really doesn't tell you anything about the file, what it contains, or what program it belongs to. There is no standard format, there is no standard way to interpret the contents. ".dat" is only a name and nothing more.

So I'll be clear: there is no way to know how to open a .dat file unless you know what program created it. Period.
    "... if you don't know what application created the file, there's no way to know how to open it."

A good example is that Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM) apparently keeps it's message history in a file that ends in ".dat". The way Yahoo works, you can only open that .dat file using Yahoo Instant Messenger, and only of you are logged in to the account that created the file in the first place.

But if you don't know what application created the file, there's no way to know how to open it.

If you do know what application created the file, then it's likely only that application can be used to open it.
    Ask Leo

I would love to see a HJT log from your PC, the site listed in that image of yours ak.imgfarm is listed in my HOSTS file, won't let me on it, which tells me, that it is a site to avoid....and I would recommend doing number 4 from nihil's post....

What is the BHO (Browser Helper Object) you are using or the name of the plugin,if it's anything like coolwebsearch or mywebsearch, you need to clean up.......
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson