Switching to Windows: Not as easy as you think

Thread: Switching to Windows: Not as easy as you think

Switching to Windows: Not as easy as you think

I just read this article and let me say this up front :

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!

I constantly read how Windows users try Linux and how it's "so hard" for them and how they try these stupid things they should know don't work in the first place had they read any manuals at all.

Well, Windows kids, the tables have turned finally. I love this article, and I think it points things out exactly how the Windows kids who don't like Linux but want to try it to be fair (In other words they have already made their opinion that they don't like it)...

Here is an example from the article:

After finally managing to join the computer to the domain, I tried logging on using my very underused domain user account. Windows seemed to authenticate successfully, but then just sat there at the login screen saying 'Applying your personal settings'. I walked away, heated up a small mushroom pizza, and ate it. I came back, perhaps 15 minutes later. It was still sitting there at the login screen, 'loading my settings'.

I wanted to know what was happening, so out of habit I hit Ctrl+Alt+F1. Of course, this was a no go. It seems that virtual consoles aren't enabled in Windows by default. In fact, subsequent Google searches seemed to suggest that Windows doesn't come with this functionality at all! Your GUI is all you get. Perhaps new and inexperienced users would not need this functionality, or even notice it was missing, but I'm sure Linux 'power users', attempting to switch to Windows, will miss it.

Without being able to use a virtual console to kill the login process, I had no option but to do a hard-reset of the machine, and try logging in again. This time it popped up an error message saying it couldn't make a copy of my roaming profile, and it was going to give me a temporary default one instead. Why could it not load my regular profile? No reason was given. I logged out once more, logged back in again, and behold, this time it copied over my profile with no complaints. Or did it?
    The bold part I LOVED. He made himself sound exactly like the people who hate Linux for no other reason but they don't know what they are doing. How many times I've heard "Well clicking start didn't work so I deleted Linux".... That was a nice retribution.

Read the article here:

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/html/47/5937.html

Comments?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Gore:

This isn't a simple user trying to get Windows started so they can surf the pr0n and get their email. This was someone trying to join and function in an AD environment. Add to that the fact that when he opened his "My Documents" folder he found his bosses files one has to wonder how well the AD domain was set up - 'cos I'm pretty sure he wasn't supposed to have access to his supervisors documents. The "applying your settings" going on forever is another indication that all is not well in ADland....

Basically, it was someone who didn't understand Windows trying to carry out advanced functions in an environment that seems so badly set up that it is highly unlikely that those functions could be completed successfully.....

Hardly the "victory" you were seeking but it was a fun read.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

This belongs in technical humour, it cannot be in any way serious.

Without being able to use a virtual console to kill the login process, I had no option but to do a hard-reset of the machine, and try logging in again.
    That made me laugh too. Windows actually forces the correct procedure. If your login fails then you have a problem that needs fixing. Attempting to frig or bypass it just leaves you running a potentially unstable system. Also, "crashing" the system will sometimes produce a log that might be helpful with subsequent trouble shooting (in Windoze, at least). I would actually do the same with any desktop OS.

I am always wary of startup problems, there are so many things that can cause them, most of which are not to do with the OS, overheating, hardware failure, malware, deadly embraces and the like.

Given the long time hanging on loading settings and the subsequent:

This time it popped up an error message saying it couldn't make a copy of my roaming profile, and it was going to give me a temporary default one instead. Why could it not load my regular profile? No reason was given.

I would expect even the most inexperienced support intern to immediately realise that it was a network connectivity issue of some sort.

"Roaming" means wandering about. That has to be supported serverside? "default" or "local" are on the desktop. If you have an authentication issue with the server it will tell you all about it

I walked away, heated up a small mushroom pizza, and ate it.
    Amanita Muscaria (magic mushrooms) no doubt!

Magnificent! The criticisms don't bear against it because, after all, he
    admitted it was fiction. It perfectly illustrates the fact that the habits
    and expectations you carry into a new OS can poison your judgement.

This can be especially true of "power users" who have built up a
    repertoire of streamlined maneuvers that speed up their work.
    The littlest thing can be a show-stopper.

To successfully adopt a new OS, you have to be willing to adopt
    the philosophy of that OS; temporarily set aside what you know,
    and be willing to learn how to do it their way.

Since it is usually Windows users who display this sort of brittle
    inteachable attitude, it was only right for the author to show
    how it would be if unix users were as narrow minded.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Gore:

This isn't a simple user trying to get Windows started so they can surf the pr0n and get their email. This was someone trying to join and function in an AD environment. Add to that the fact that when he opened his "My Documents" folder he found his bosses files one has to wonder how well the AD domain was set up - 'cos I'm pretty sure he wasn't supposed to have access to his supervisors documents. The "applying your settings" going on forever is another indication that all is not well in ADland....

That was pointed out Tiger. But I don't let it stop my laughter, considering how many times I've seen people try setting up servers the first time they used Linux or BSD.

Basically, it was someone who didn't understand Windows trying to carry out advanced functions in an environment that seems so badly set up that it is highly unlikely that those functions could be completed successfully.....
    Reminds me of that time you installed SUSE "Damn gore how do I show processes running".... lol.

The only thing I don't like that you've said in this is:

Hardly the "victory" you were seeking but it was a fun read.....
    No, I think this was perfect for showing the other side.

Magnificent! The criticisms don't bear against it because, after all, he
    admitted it was fiction. It perfectly illustrates the fact that the habits
    and expectations you carry into a new OS can poison your judgement.
    My point.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Reminds me of that time you installed SUSE
    *COUGH*

I was trying to set it up as a basic user trying to make a computer work - NOT trying to join it to an enterprise... There's a little bit of difference.... Trust me.... I know... You don't... You're learning
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Tiger, regaurdless, it doesn't make this article any less relevent. I've always wanted an article like this one. Because a lot of PR crap comes from "Well if you switch to Linux you have to retrain your staff...." Well what if the staff uses Unix? Then yuo'd have to retrain them to use Windows...

No one ever talks about that.