Thread: LC5 Professional vs. Admin

LC5 Professional vs. Admin

Hello,

I am running out of options here and Symantec has discontinued its support of the LC5 tool. Besides, everytime I did ask them the following, all I ever got was boilerplate responses. Anyway, I thought I should turn to the real experts.

I am using LC5 and we have paid for the Administrator licesne. For our Penetration Testing, there are three of us that use the different computers. Each computer has its own instance of LC5 installed, each with its own license key. On each machine, all three of us are listed in the Administrator group and have each tried installing the product on our own on at least one machine.

OK, so here is the issue. When our boss logs onto the machine, she gets the Administrator version while we get the Professional version. This is the same on every machine. Not that I really care too much about the name, but the Professional version is not allowed to hash table cracking. Additionally we cannot do Hash table generation because of this.

This is blowing my mind as there is NO diffence (as far as I can tell) on the machines between the three of us. The only thing I can think of is that my boss is the one who bought the license and therefore gets that version. She assures us though that she never gave her (local) account name to Symantec... so how would it even know???

If anyone uses LC5 and has ever seen this or is you think you might have an idea, I am open for suggestions.

Disclaimer: We paid decent money to get the licenses for the program and we have every intention on using it. If your answer includes using a freeware password cracking program anything along those lines, please keep them to yourselves as they will not help us at this time. Besides, we already have other options such as John the Ripper. (Sorry, I couldnt help myself.)
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

http://tazforum.**********.com/

If my memory is correct it is the unlock code that unlocks the specific features. If you go to Help/About for the different users are the serial numbers and unlock codes the same on the same PC?
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

I do not know this product, but I have seen software where the first one on gets administrator. Was your boss' version installed and identified to the network first?

Just a thought

If my memory is correct it is the unlock code that unlocks the specific features. If you go to Help/About for the different users are the serial numbers and unlock codes the same on the same PC?
    The serial numbers and unlock codes are the same for each user on a specific PC.

I do not know this product, but I have seen software where the first one on gets administrator. Was your boss' version installed and identified to the network first?
    That is a good thought, but I can think of at least 2 machines where I was the first to use it.

-Deeboe
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Hi,

Once again a blind guess based on other software:

1. Does your boss appear above you on the administrators' group listing????
    2. Check that you actually have 3 admin licences.
    3. Have you tried creating a new group with admin rights and testing it from there.

It sound to me as if it is using your admin group data, the question is how?

Good luck

1. Does your boss appear above you on the administrators' group listing????
    No, right in the middle

2. Check that you actually have 3 admin licences.
    According to Symantec, we have unlimited.

3. Have you tried creating a new group with admin rights and testing it from there.
    Not sure what that will do as we are all in the Admin group as it is. Will try though.

-Deeboe