Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alright Wardriving.

Angry Alright Wardriving.

Okay, I'd like to say hello to everyone out there on Anti-Online. I am the noob.

First off let me discuss my problem, I fear that i have a wardriver that stops close to the wireless nextworks in and around my house, figures out how he can get in, and uses it freely whenever he pulls up in his car. If he sees anything suspicious he usually bolts out of site before we can even see him.

Okay, I'm the noob here, but can anyone tell me how i can get this guy off of my network? And if so how can my wireless network log any occurances of him? I'm tired of changing the passwords and the WEP keys, and i'd just like to see if I could ban him from the networks.

Thanks for the help, I'm happy to hear all suggestions.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Couch, you might want to elaborate a little more as to what kind of router you are using but, in any event, I believe most routers will record all wireless connections and the associated MAC address. The MAC address will look something like this : 00-11-86-7B-A8-96. A MAC address is a starting point to try an isolate this guy (as MAC addresses are a unique identifier for a computer). Problem being is that there are MAC spoofing apps out there so it depends how good this guy is.
    If you're able to get his real MAC address, you can then block him using a MAC filter. Determining his real MAC vs. a Spoofed MAC is another story. Not to make matters worse, but , should this guy be very determined, he can "sniff" your wireless traffic and find legit MAC addresses connecting to your router and mimic those.
    Listen, I don't want to make you panic. My suggestion is this -
    1) Determine the MAC address of everything that's going to be connecting to your router (your PC, Printer etc.)
    2) Enable MAC filtering based on those MAC addresses
    3) Limit the amount of IP's your router will hand out based on how many computers/printers are connecting to your router.
    4) If you have WPA-PSK available on your router , I'd suggest switching to that for encryption.
    5) Watch your connection logs

*p.s. - Don't let all this overwhelm you. If you don't know how to work anything I suggested, just ask. That's what we're here for
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Thank you shag for the help. I will do the best I can.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    you know Couch, I was thinking of something that might be more along the lines of a psychological attack. Maybe even funny if it works. You say that the guy drives into your area but bolts if he sees anything shady. I was wondering if you knew the year/make/model of his car. If you do, you can rename your SSID (this is what broadcasts into the wide open , it's your network "name") to something like "99 Honda Accord, Watching You", or something stupid along those lines that would let him know you're on to his antics. It might be just enough of a psychological egde to make him go hunting elsewhere. I've never tried it but who knows
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

BANNED
    Or maybe if he's connected to your network you could try.

c:\>net send * This is the <insert city/county> police please step out of the vehicle and place your hands on the hood of the car.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

You could try using AirSnare if you are running Windows to let him know you are watching.

You could also use ettercap to arp poision your own router and capture his traffic directly. These captures can be used as log files that you could provide your local officals with.
    Personally I would just block outside mac addresses at the router, encrypt the router, and turn off the ssid broadcast, and be done with it.

Talking

Originally posted here by ShagDevil
    you know Couch, I was thinking of something that might be more along the lines of a psychological attack. Maybe even funny if it works. You say that the guy drives into your area but bolts if he sees anything shady. I was wondering if you knew the year/make/model of his car. If you do, you can rename your SSID (this is what broadcasts into the wide open , it's your network "name") to something like "99 Honda Accord, Watching You", or something stupid along those lines that would let him know you're on to his antics. It might be just enough of a psychological egde to make him go hunting elsewhere. I've never tried it but who knows
    That's wonderful.

Originally posted here by MasterTsunami
    You could try using AirSnare if you are running Windows to let him know you are watching.
    ! thats sweet !

Originally posted here by muert0
    Or maybe if he's connected to your network you could try.

c:\>net send * This is the <insert city/county> police please step out of the vehicle and place your hands on the hood of the car.
    That made my day
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived