Thread: smtp and ISP blocking 25

Question smtp and ISP blocking 25

Howdy all,

I have a server running on an unrestricted connection at this moment. Its a connection which I admin from the current company ( nice to be an network admin huh ? ) I work for.
    I now have a career change ahead by a much bigger company, so its not that easy anymore to rehost that little box somewhere else.
    I was thinking of hosting it @ home which is no problem, only for smtp since my ISP blocks port 25 (incoming i don't know, but it does for outgoing) I won't be able to fully run my own mailserver.
    If its able to accept mail from other servers, the problem is solved, since i can easily send over another port out.
    But if its a full block on 25 .... then I guess its not able to serve a mailserver in its normal setup.

Are there options i not yet know of ? Maybe somebody already found a nice feature yet that would help

Any comments are welcome ....

Greetz,

Raiden.

Hey Hey,

Have I got a service for you..... haha It's the makings of a long day so cut me some slack on that...

Here's what I've got for ya... DNS Made Easy... we looked into using them as a Backup MX but even though our service drops one weekend every month and I get bitched at for losing mail, we didn't want to pay the $12.95/year.... (yes.... 12.95).... Anyways.. Another service they offer is Mail Server Forwarding for people who host at home and have port 25 blocked... They'll act as a backup MX and forward to any port that you want... The fee... Only 18.95/year/domain (USD)

You can check it out @ http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/s0306/prod/msf.html

Peace,
    HT

Well I checked my connection and its a full block on 25, as well, ermm ... expected.

Too bad there isn't a free service like that then .... :|. If its for a business its well-spend, but if you only have a mailserver in private use ...

Thnx anyway HT.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I _thought_ there was a way of specifying an alternative port for a resource record such as an MX. Is seems that, per the RFC, there would be only one way of doing it and that would be a WKS(?) record which has certain bits set to identify the port the service is running on. I don't believe that these records have ever been sufficiently implemented for most mail servers to even consider querying for a WKS record. So, the short answer is:- It can't be done by manipulating your DNS. Your back to paying... Sorry...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hey Hey,

This isn't perfect.. but if ya want to set it up..

I have a reseller account...

If you want I can create you one for your domain... The MX can point to my server (you can use it for your mail) and everything else can point to whatever it normally points to...

It's not the best solution... but it's free.

Peace,
    HT

Tiger,

Thats exactly what i was looking for , but also didn't find

HT,

So you want to forward smtp for me ? If it ain't a big hassle, that would be nice ...
    Can you pm me what you need to set it up ?

Cheers.

Raiden.

Anyone knows if SMTPS (port 465) an option ? Are there a lot of mailservers that use it or support it ?

Cheers.

Hey Hey,

I don't know the details, but I always thought that SMTPS was only for Client to Server connections (message retrieval)... but I've never really looked into it.

I have another solution for you... http://main.uucpssh.org/

It looks like it may be perfect for you... your client connects out and grabs the mail off their server at whatever interval you specify...

To get/send your mails using the UUCP transport, your workstation will have to run under Linux, *BSD or any Unix system. It may work with Windows system too, but we don't know. For other transport than UUCP, you may use any system.
    It's also a free service.

Peace,
    HT

Yeah smtps is indeed between end-side clients and server. I was being optimistic ...

I'll look into it that other thing HT.

Greetz.