PHP as CGI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHP as CGI

PHP as CGI

hi

can somebody direct me on how to install php as a cgi on a Web Host Manager server??

I have 2 dedicated servers. Each has Linux and the "Web Host Manager" server appliance.

I need to "install php as a cgi" on each server! Plz help, its urgent!!

thnx
    CodeNameVirus

I use php instead of cgi..

So I have no clue on how to use php as cgi..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

hi Jinx

I think we are talking about the same thing...tell me how u do it? may be thats what I want too! Basically I just need install PHP scripts, so i think we are on the same track!!
    CodeNameVirus

Hey Hey,

codenamevirus: You can't just think... I suggest you go double check and figure out exactly what you need...

There are two ways to install PHP.... In Windows the two methods are CGI and ISAPI... The ISAPI method means loading the php dll that comes with the package... it's the "cleaner" way to do it.... This is comparable to loading the module in Apache.... Then there's the CGI way.. this means you go in and associate the .php extension with the php.exe executable... This is similar to how you make IIS work with Perl or Python.. when the page is called... IIS will execute it through the associated executable and return the results... This is the "messy" way of doing it.... I suppose that there's most likely a way to have Apache (or the Web Host Manager server appliance... whatever that is) call the php binary instead of the module... this to me would be what I'd consider the CGI method on *nix.... Also if this Web Host Manager appliance is custom at all, the odds are the apache module won't work with it and you'd have to use the Linux binary.... So it's quite possible you do need to "install php as a cgi" or have PHP interpreted using the CGI method...

You'll have to get back to us on what exactly you need.... either way is correct.

JinX: CGI = Common Gateway Interface... it's a way for your script and webpage to interact.. so basically Perl, Python, PHP can all be CGIs.... It's just become common to call a perl script a CGI..

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

hi HT....

I require it to do the CGI way! i.e. thru IIS, i can see that its messy but still hav to do that way!

Any tutorials where i can read the exact steps that I would require to take for completing the task.....

thnx
    CodeNameVirus

Originally posted here by codenamevirus
    hi HT....

I require it to do the CGI way! i.e. thru IIS, i can see that its messy but still hav to do that way!

Any tutorials where i can read the exact steps that I would require to take for completing the task.....

thnx
    Hey Hey,

Now you're making this even more confusing..... You said you had two dedicated servers running Linux.... Now you're saying you want to do the CGI method through IIS... IIS is a Windows Application.... No offence intended but maybe you should sit back, take a deep breath and evaluate what you have in front of you and what you need in front of you.

Peace,
    HT
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Re: PHP as CGI

hi

I have 2 dedicated servers. Each has Linux and the "Web Host Manager" server appliance.

I need to install PHP as CGI, thats it! Just tell me how can it be done!!!

I dont care whether doin this is messy or difficult! I jst need to do it.

Any method, tutorial u can provide wud be appreciated....

thnx
    CodeNameVirus

Re: Re: PHP as CGI

Originally posted here by codenamevirus
    hi

I need to install PHP as CGI, thats it! Just tell me how can it be done!!!

I dont care whether doin this is messy or difficult! I jst need to do it.

Any method, tutorial u can provide wud be appreciated....

thnx
    Hey Hey,

Just tell you eh... that sounds a little bossy to me...

I can't tell you how it's done because I don't know anything about this Web Host Manager server appliance that you are running... Is it your web server? Or is it an application that runs on top of the web server?

you have to go to php.net and download php, then compile and install it.... Then you have to configure your software to call the binary everytime a php file is requested....

As I've said evaluate what you have and what you need.... Do you have a link for this appliance? What do you need php for... to run the appliance or to run something else... what is it that it has to be the CGI form....

I'm not trying to be mean here.... I'm trying to help you... but before I can do that you have to help yourself..

Peace,
    HT

hi

the web server is mine and the "Web Host Manager" is an application that runs over the server. I dont hav a link to it coz its running on my server. I want PHP for providing the basic framework for the server, such that when I sell a part of it to a customer, he can directly start enjoyin all the facilities without worryin for configuring the web server.

The appliance is already running, its for myself to interact with the server, by CGI I mean that it doesnt need to depend on the APACHE and can directly use PHP for this purpose!

I tried to keep myself as clear as possible, but it always hav been my shortcoming

so, plz ask, if i missed something or wasnt clear anywhere?
    CodeNameVirus

Hey Hey,

You're now calling it "Windows Host Manager".. it is Web correct? If so.. is it this http://www.cpanel.net/ (CPANEL and then WHM is another part)...

I'm stil not following the whole basic framework of the server....

It sounds like you have a server and want to resell webhosting... cpanel/whm would definately be a way to do this...

However, You HAVE to depend on apache because it is serving the web pages... you can't just have the PHP binary serve the stuff for you, unless you've written a php web server (and yes... stuff is a technical term)...

So now once again, you have to evaluate what you're trying to do.... If what I've stated so far (about you wanting to resell your services) is correct.... then let's move forward with that... I'm not sure you completely understand the operation of php or a web server..... but we can see what we can do

Peace,
    HT