Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP process dumper?

Windows XP process dumper?

Hey all,

I'm looking for something that can dump the processes from pressing ALT CTRL DEL and looking at them... I'd like to dump them to a text file and I'm really not sure how.

I was playing Final Doom earlier, and all of a sudden the game freezes, I load the processes up and see something called dump using 99% CPU for like 3 seconds.

Some of the apps I'm wondering about:

I'm really bad with processes on Windows so any help is cool. Just don't want to look online because who knows who wrote those.

Windows XP process dumper?

Hey all,

I'm looking for something that can dump the processes from pressing ALT CTRL DEL and looking at them... I'd like to dump them to a text file and I'm really not sure how.

I was playing Final Doom earlier, and all of a sudden the game freezes, I load the processes up and see something called dump using 99% CPU for like 3 seconds.

Some of the apps I'm wondering about:

I'm really bad with processes on Windows so any help is cool. Just don't want to look online because who knows who wrote those.

Another shot of them running:

EDIT:

More info about this machine:

Dell Inspiron 5150 Laptop, Pentium 4 M 3.06 GHz processor, 512 RAM, dual booting SUSE and XP Home Edition, all patches installed, EzTrust AV installed and up to date, Ad Aware.... I use IE once in a while and Firefox. IE is mainly used for AO and Apple.com.

Another shot of them running:

EDIT:

More info about this machine:

Dell Inspiron 5150 Laptop, Pentium 4 M 3.06 GHz processor, 512 RAM, dual booting SUSE and XP Home Edition, all patches installed, EzTrust AV installed and up to date, Ad Aware.... I use IE once in a while and Firefox. IE is mainly used for AO and Apple.com.

Hi

dump the processes from pressing ALT CTRL DEL and looking at them...
    I'd like to dump them to a text file and I'm really not sure how.
    I like the tools by sysinternals, in particular pslist[1]. Also Microsoft
    provides with the tool pstat[2] a useful one.

I hope I understood your request/question correctly. Particular
    information about running processes are most easily obtained
    really by using google: "dadapp.exe": I usually like the liutilites.com
    information[3].

Cheers

[1] http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsList.html
    [2] http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ng/pstat-o.asp
    [3] http://www.liutilities.com/products/...ibrary/dadapp/
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Hi

dump the processes from pressing ALT CTRL DEL and looking at them...
    I'd like to dump them to a text file and I'm really not sure how.
    I like the tools by sysinternals, in particular pslist[1]. Also Microsoft
    provides with the tool pstat[2] a useful one.

I hope I understood your request/question correctly. Particular
    information about running processes are most easily obtained
    really by using google: "dadapp.exe": I usually like the liutilites.com
    information[3].

Cheers

[1] http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsList.html
    [2] http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ng/pstat-o.asp
    [3] http://www.liutilities.com/products/...ibrary/dadapp/
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Hi Gore

I used to see this, each time my PC froze as well, you will probably see it in the Startups as well, something along the lines of a kernel dump error:

Memory Dump Files

When a Stop error occurs, Windows XP Professional writes information to the paging file (Pagefile.sys) on the systemdrive root by default. When you restart the computer in normal or safe mode after a Stop error occurs, Windows XP Professional uses paging file information to create a memory dump file in the systemroot folder. Analyzing the dump file can help provide more information about the root cause of a problem and enables offline analysis by using tools run on another computer. You can configure your system to generate one of three different types of dump files.

Small memory dump Small memory dump files contain the least information, but consume the least disk space, 64 kilobytes (KB). Small memory dump files are sometimes referred to as "mini" dump files. Unlike kernel and complete memory dump files; Windows XP Professional stores small memory dump files in the systemroot\Minidump folder, instead of using the systemroot\Memory.dmp file name.

Windows XP Professional always create a small memory dump file when a Stop error occurs, even when you choose the kernel or complete memory dump file options. One of the services that use small memory dump files is the Error Reporting service. The Error Reporting service reads the contents of a small memory dump file to help diagnose problems that cause Stop errors. For more information about the Error Reporting service, see "Using Memory Dump Files to Analyze Stop Errors" later in this appendix.

Kernel memory dump This is an intermediate size dump file that records only kernel-level memory and can occupy several megabytes (MB) of disk space. When a Stop error occurs, Windows XP Professional saves a kernel memory dump file to a file named systemroot\Memory.dmp and create a small memory dump file in the systemroot\Minidump folder. You cannot exactly predict the size of a kernel memory dump file because this depends on the amount of kernel-mode memory allocated by the operating system and drivers present on the machine when the Stop error occurred.

Complete memory dump A complete memory dump file contains the entire contents of physical memory when the Stop error occurred. The file size is equal to the amount of physical memory installed plus 1 MB. When a Stop error occurs, the operating system saves a complete memory dump file to a file named systemroot\Memory.dmp and creates a small memory dump file in the systemroot\Minidump folder.
    MS Resource

Also, you might want to stop some of your services, if they are not needed, this site is a good source to manage the services on WinXp:

Services Guide
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Hi Gore

I used to see this, each time my PC froze as well, you will probably see it in the Startups as well, something along the lines of a kernel dump error:

Memory Dump Files

When a Stop error occurs, Windows XP Professional writes information to the paging file (Pagefile.sys) on the systemdrive root by default. When you restart the computer in normal or safe mode after a Stop error occurs, Windows XP Professional uses paging file information to create a memory dump file in the systemroot folder. Analyzing the dump file can help provide more information about the root cause of a problem and enables offline analysis by using tools run on another computer. You can configure your system to generate one of three different types of dump files.

Small memory dump Small memory dump files contain the least information, but consume the least disk space, 64 kilobytes (KB). Small memory dump files are sometimes referred to as "mini" dump files. Unlike kernel and complete memory dump files; Windows XP Professional stores small memory dump files in the systemroot\Minidump folder, instead of using the systemroot\Memory.dmp file name.

Windows XP Professional always create a small memory dump file when a Stop error occurs, even when you choose the kernel or complete memory dump file options. One of the services that use small memory dump files is the Error Reporting service. The Error Reporting service reads the contents of a small memory dump file to help diagnose problems that cause Stop errors. For more information about the Error Reporting service, see "Using Memory Dump Files to Analyze Stop Errors" later in this appendix.

Kernel memory dump This is an intermediate size dump file that records only kernel-level memory and can occupy several megabytes (MB) of disk space. When a Stop error occurs, Windows XP Professional saves a kernel memory dump file to a file named systemroot\Memory.dmp and create a small memory dump file in the systemroot\Minidump folder. You cannot exactly predict the size of a kernel memory dump file because this depends on the amount of kernel-mode memory allocated by the operating system and drivers present on the machine when the Stop error occurred.

Complete memory dump A complete memory dump file contains the entire contents of physical memory when the Stop error occurred. The file size is equal to the amount of physical memory installed plus 1 MB. When a Stop error occurs, the operating system saves a complete memory dump file to a file named systemroot\Memory.dmp and creates a small memory dump file in the systemroot\Minidump folder.
    MS Resource

Also, you might want to stop some of your services, if they are not needed, this site is a good source to manage the services on WinXp:

Services Guide
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Actually, there was no crash, or error, it was a process that just seemed to take up the whole CPU for about 3 seconds and then it was gone. Kind of weird really. Thanks for the resources though.

Actually, there was no crash, or error, it was a process that just seemed to take up the whole CPU for about 3 seconds and then it was gone. Kind of weird really. Thanks for the resources though.