Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MS to discontinue extended support for WinXP Home 2008

now there's an idea, maybe MS will except trade-ins
    Good idea, but you forget -- even car dealerships won't let you trade in a car that doesn't run (or is not profitable). You'd have to call one of those "Get cash for your old car!" guys.
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

now there's an idea, maybe MS will except trade-ins
    Good idea, but you forget -- even car dealerships won't let you trade in a car that doesn't run (or is not profitable). You'd have to call one of those "Get cash for your old car!" guys.
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

Banned
    This is basically a double edged sword statement.

Windows 98 had it's support cut off in a shorter span than Windows XP Home....
    ....However, By that time, consumers had the opportunity to choose to purchase Windows 2000 or (bah ha) Windows ME.

Now, just because extended support was cut off, it doesn't mean that the patches stopped.
    Patches kept rolling out (and I think still is, am I correct?) for Windows 98

Stop me if I'm wrong, but how many people call Microsoft for Tech Help?
    If I have a problem with software X, I call Y company, not Microsoft.
    If I have a problem with hardware part A, I call it's company
    And in cases where there are true issues, paying $50+ for support from Microsoft kinda sucks when you can pay that for a local tech and have it fixed (prob) quicker
    And the techs who to work on computers prob don't call Microsoft but check their KBs on their site or frequent tech forums for assistance.

They will continue to provide patches for the OS (unless I am mistaken) for a long long time.

Banned
    This is basically a double edged sword statement.

Windows 98 had it's support cut off in a shorter span than Windows XP Home....
    ....However, By that time, consumers had the opportunity to choose to purchase Windows 2000 or (bah ha) Windows ME.

Now, just because extended support was cut off, it doesn't mean that the patches stopped.
    Patches kept rolling out (and I think still is, am I correct?) for Windows 98

Stop me if I'm wrong, but how many people call Microsoft for Tech Help?
    If I have a problem with software X, I call Y company, not Microsoft.
    If I have a problem with hardware part A, I call it's company
    And in cases where there are true issues, paying $50+ for support from Microsoft kinda sucks when you can pay that for a local tech and have it fixed (prob) quicker
    And the techs who to work on computers prob don't call Microsoft but check their KBs on their site or frequent tech forums for assistance.

They will continue to provide patches for the OS (unless I am mistaken) for a long long time.

Hmmm ... check out the SANS ISC for an update on this topic:

http://isc.sans.org/

Hmmm ... check out the SANS ISC for an update on this topic:

http://isc.sans.org/

Banned
    im gonna skip all the replies in this thread ans just say this.............*nix. im so tired of microsoft raping people out of hundreds of dollars for their **** OS and now i read this? i mean COME ON. its no wonder gates is a ****ing billionaire, its because of stupidity....i have never bought windows and i never will. i will never buy anything microsoft......and for the reason their programmers suck....bunch of monkeys who after a year or so put out an OS.....6 months for a security patch. sorry for the exag. but its real.........its ridiculous. just tonight i met some guy who couldnt delete his history on his god damn IE.....wtf is that? it seems every new windows they come out with is more vulnerable that the last, of course script kiddies want to keep up with the times but lets get serious. win2k i feel was the best windows besides win95c, very stable....but now no support? i know people who pay for software and if they get screwed......................

Banned
    im gonna skip all the replies in this thread ans just say this.............*nix. im so tired of microsoft raping people out of hundreds of dollars for their **** OS and now i read this? i mean COME ON. its no wonder gates is a ****ing billionaire, its because of stupidity....i have never bought windows and i never will. i will never buy anything microsoft......and for the reason their programmers suck....bunch of monkeys who after a year or so put out an OS.....6 months for a security patch. sorry for the exag. but its real.........its ridiculous. just tonight i met some guy who couldnt delete his history on his god damn IE.....wtf is that? it seems every new windows they come out with is more vulnerable that the last, of course script kiddies want to keep up with the times but lets get serious. win2k i feel was the best windows besides win95c, very stable....but now no support? i know people who pay for software and if they get screwed......................

karmine

I have to disagree. Firstly Win 95 had service releases (SR)

SR2 is 4.00.950B
    SR2.1 is 4.00.950B and was the first version to have limited USB support.
    SR2.5 is 4.00.950C and is the same as SR2.1 other than it shipped with IE4.0

That makes 950B SR2.1 the last true version of the Windows 95 OS

However Win 98SE is much better and provides full USB and AGP support. That is the one I would go for, and is the one most widely used today, of the old operating systems. Another reason is that UK broadband providers will support it, but not Win 95 (any flavour, presumably because of the USB issues)

After that I would agree with Win2000 (SP4)

karmine

I have to disagree. Firstly Win 95 had service releases (SR)

SR2 is 4.00.950B
    SR2.1 is 4.00.950B and was the first version to have limited USB support.
    SR2.5 is 4.00.950C and is the same as SR2.1 other than it shipped with IE4.0

That makes 950B SR2.1 the last true version of the Windows 95 OS

However Win 98SE is much better and provides full USB and AGP support. That is the one I would go for, and is the one most widely used today, of the old operating systems. Another reason is that UK broadband providers will support it, but not Win 95 (any flavour, presumably because of the USB issues)

After that I would agree with Win2000 (SP4)