Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looks like SOny wasn't the only one for adding a rootkit

Originally posted here by dalek
    I agree, but I think people should be aware of this:

It's just 2 that we are now aware of, regardless of their intentions, I think the point Russinovich is making is valid, the box is mine, not for someone else to put stuff on it without my knowledge, so if Norton and Sony had been upfront prior to your installing the product (out of the box ,unlike OEM's) then fine."buyer beware".
    Tiger's got it again.... Norton has never hidden the Protected Recycling Bin... all you had to do was look to see how it functioned.... And again... it's not a bad thing... it was actually a good thing... you have to weight the risk vs the gain and I think for your average end user that the Protected Recycling Bin was a very good thing.. it saved a lot of asses from deleting files.... In reality.... it should have been left as is and instead of removing it with the update... the method of hiding it should have been shared with major AV / AntiSpyware vendors... allowing them to make it temporarily visible for scanning purposes....

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by dalek
    I agree, but I think people should be aware of this:

It's just 2 that we are now aware of, regardless of their intentions, I think the point Russinovich is making is valid, the box is mine, not for someone else to put stuff on it without my knowledge, so if Norton and Sony had been upfront prior to your installing the product (out of the box ,unlike OEM's) then fine."buyer beware".
    Tiger's got it again.... Norton has never hidden the Protected Recycling Bin... all you had to do was look to see how it functioned.... And again... it's not a bad thing... it was actually a good thing... you have to weight the risk vs the gain and I think for your average end user that the Protected Recycling Bin was a very good thing.. it saved a lot of asses from deleting files.... In reality.... it should have been left as is and instead of removing it with the update... the method of hiding it should have been shared with major AV / AntiSpyware vendors... allowing them to make it temporarily visible for scanning purposes....

Peace,
    HT

Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, and please do, but isnt the contents of nortons protected recycle bin visible on the computers desktop, and flushable, as well as bypassable through the right click delete options.
    For what its worth, I heard they patched that issue today. With their given history, I'll take their word for it. Now if you want me to explode into a giant ball of flames get me started on the sony rootkit....

Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, and please do, but isnt the contents of nortons protected recycle bin visible on the computers desktop, and flushable, as well as bypassable through the right click delete options.
    For what its worth, I heard they patched that issue today. With their given history, I'll take their word for it. Now if you want me to explode into a giant ball of flames get me started on the sony rootkit....

How on earth was Norton putting something on your box without your knowledge.... You _bought_ the freaking software!!!!! Duh....
    Hey Tiger Shark, have a wet...I was paraphrasing Russinovich, you guys make it sound like I went out..... bought Norton software and made myself unaware of what it was putting on my PC.....geez louises.....I only posted the article, so others could be aware that it's quite possible that other commercial software out there could do the same thing, ***** take a pill will ya..........
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

How on earth was Norton putting something on your box without your knowledge.... You _bought_ the freaking software!!!!! Duh....
    Hey Tiger Shark, have a wet...I was paraphrasing Russinovich, you guys make it sound like I went out..... bought Norton software and made myself unaware of what it was putting on my PC.....geez louises.....I only posted the article, so others could be aware that it's quite possible that other commercial software out there could do the same thing, ***** take a pill will ya..........
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

That is a good point... It does make you wonder how many other companies are distributing software that causes serious vulnerabilities on your system... How many of these security suites actually open holes as opposed to closing them up? Although, it is relieving that Norton's intentions were not as devious as Sony's. It just goes to show that regardless of intent, no software is perfect.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

That is a good point... It does make you wonder how many other companies are distributing software that causes serious vulnerabilities on your system... How many of these security suites actually open holes as opposed to closing them up? Although, it is relieving that Norton's intentions were not as devious as Sony's. It just goes to show that regardless of intent, no software is perfect.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Banned
    for people who are worried about rootkits etc etc etc, this has been posted before but go to http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html
    want to know how many companies are installing rootkits? read this article fully and if you feel like it get all the tools this guy has written. the sony article i found on here in like october i think took me to this site. so check it out, it has proggies for detecting and removing them.

Banned
    for people who are worried about rootkits etc etc etc, this has been posted before but go to http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html
    want to know how many companies are installing rootkits? read this article fully and if you feel like it get all the tools this guy has written. the sony article i found on here in like october i think took me to this site. so check it out, it has proggies for detecting and removing them.