Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Windows MetaFile Backdoor?

It is an interesting possibility... but ultimately I do not think it was intentional. It has been suggested that it could be taken advantage of by having customers visit MS's website... but why not just hide something in the updates? Most people I know don't go to microsoft.com unless they are getting updates... it isn't exactly the most entertaining site...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

It is an interesting possibility... but ultimately I do not think it was intentional. It has been suggested that it could be taken advantage of by having customers visit MS's website... but why not just hide something in the updates? Most people I know don't go to microsoft.com unless they are getting updates... it isn't exactly the most entertaining site...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I think that there is a tendency to ignore the history of Windows. Initially and for quite some time it was just a GUI that ran on the back of DOS.

Back then, a lot of machines were still stand alone or only connected to LANs so this sort of security issue just wasn't taken into consideration.

The internet was in its infancy...............14,400 dial-up modems. Most sites were just BBSs................. there were no worms, trojans, exploits, vulnerabilities...............just a few viruses.

If Microsoft had really anticipated how the net would develop, they would surely be in an even more dominant position than they are? It must cost them a fortune to develop all these patches, and where is the revenue from the exploits?............in the pockets of criminals.

My view is that it is the internet that has changed. Windows has merely evolved, generally too rapidly (for commercial/marketing reasons) for a lot of security issues to be identified and rectified.

I really cannot buy this conspiracy theory, it just does not make commercial sense

I think that there is a tendency to ignore the history of Windows. Initially and for quite some time it was just a GUI that ran on the back of DOS.

Back then, a lot of machines were still stand alone or only connected to LANs so this sort of security issue just wasn't taken into consideration.

The internet was in its infancy...............14,400 dial-up modems. Most sites were just BBSs................. there were no worms, trojans, exploits, vulnerabilities...............just a few viruses.

If Microsoft had really anticipated how the net would develop, they would surely be in an even more dominant position than they are? It must cost them a fortune to develop all these patches, and where is the revenue from the exploits?............in the pockets of criminals.

My view is that it is the internet that has changed. Windows has merely evolved, generally too rapidly (for commercial/marketing reasons) for a lot of security issues to be identified and rectified.

I really cannot buy this conspiracy theory, it just does not make commercial sense