The Panopticon: A Mass Surveillance Prison For Humanity
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Panopticon: A Mass Surveillance Prison For Humanity

This was an interesting read, and kinda goes hand in hand with what is currently going on with all the talk about surveillance and civil liberties.....

The Panopticon is defined as a prison so constructed that the inspector can see each of the prisoners at all times, without being seen. This is an accurate description of the accelerating movement by western governments to erect giant, powerful, all-pervading mass surveillance, tracking and control grids that will keep all populations firmly under the baleful and watchful gaze of Big Brother.

We are still debating the NSA listening to foreign calls from the US when the NSA admitted twenty years ago that they were listening to domestic US calls under the Echelon program. This is de-classified and public but the media acts like they don't know about it.

Why is there even a debate about if they are tracking and tracing us when RFID transponders are going in cars nationwide to follow our every movement?
    Hopefully NSA isn't reading this thread???

Panopticon
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

This was an interesting read, and kinda goes hand in hand with what is currently going on with all the talk about surveillance and civil liberties.....

The Panopticon is defined as a prison so constructed that the inspector can see each of the prisoners at all times, without being seen. This is an accurate description of the accelerating movement by western governments to erect giant, powerful, all-pervading mass surveillance, tracking and control grids that will keep all populations firmly under the baleful and watchful gaze of Big Brother.

We are still debating the NSA listening to foreign calls from the US when the NSA admitted twenty years ago that they were listening to domestic US calls under the Echelon program. This is de-classified and public but the media acts like they don't know about it.

Why is there even a debate about if they are tracking and tracing us when RFID transponders are going in cars nationwide to follow our every movement?
    Hopefully NSA isn't reading this thread???

Panopticon

Claude Swanson

Consider today's BBC report concerning CCTV surveillance systems in an area of London which is planned to be expanded to include, just on its first implementation, tens of thousands of other citizens in other areas.

The government funded program, called ASBO TV, invites residents to pay 3.50 and have access to a TV channel that enables them to monitor 400 different CCTV surveillance cameras and report on suspicious or anti-social behavior, comparing suspects to an on-screen rogues gallery.
    The exact same program was announced for the US years ago in the New York Times. The difference is that in the US they plan to force people to watch the system either over their computer or cable system. It will be classified as 'public service' to pay for speeding tickets and eventually as a mandatory function of your civil defense Homeland Security draft duties.

Starting at two hours a week and, if you wish to be paid, upwards of twenty hours a week, you will monitor the cameras for signs of terrorism and also, as admitted in the New York Times piece, for crime.
    Huh? Yeah, right. That's rediculous and stupid to even claim. Initially I was susspicious of the article from the nature of the site, but c'mon. Most of these things exist, but not to the degree or use of what is being claimed. I think the person whom wrote this might need to loosen the tin-foil on their head.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

Consider today's BBC report concerning CCTV surveillance systems in an area of London which is planned to be expanded to include, just on its first implementation, tens of thousands of other citizens in other areas.

The government funded program, called ASBO TV, invites residents to pay 3.50 and have access to a TV channel that enables them to monitor 400 different CCTV surveillance cameras and report on suspicious or anti-social behavior, comparing suspects to an on-screen rogues gallery.
    The exact same program was announced for the US years ago in the New York Times. The difference is that in the US they plan to force people to watch the system either over their computer or cable system. It will be classified as 'public service' to pay for speeding tickets and eventually as a mandatory function of your civil defense Homeland Security draft duties.

Starting at two hours a week and, if you wish to be paid, upwards of twenty hours a week, you will monitor the cameras for signs of terrorism and also, as admitted in the New York Times piece, for crime.
    Huh? Yeah, right. That's rediculous and stupid to even claim. Initially I was susspicious of the article from the nature of the site, but c'mon. Most of these things exist, but not to the degree or use of what is being claimed. I think the person whom wrote this might need to loosen the tin-foil on their head.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I seem to remember that the Victorians built at least one prison that was designed so that all prisoners were on show at all times to all staff

the design was based on a tower with a central tower within it that the staff were in, all ceels were built onto the outer wall, and were viewable from th ewindows in the central tower ......

still seems like a good idea to me

modern technology just enables the design to be opened up into practically any arena .....

as for microphones that can eavesdrop over 200m
    the cameras are a LOT better than they announce too

will it make for a bettr world ?
    I suppose the only way is to try it
    but what safeguards are there ? if any ?
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I seem to remember that the Victorians built at least one prison that was designed so that all prisoners were on show at all times to all staff

the design was based on a tower with a central tower within it that the staff were in, all ceels were built onto the outer wall, and were viewable from th ewindows in the central tower ......

still seems like a good idea to me

modern technology just enables the design to be opened up into practically any arena .....

as for microphones that can eavesdrop over 200m
    the cameras are a LOT better than they announce too

will it make for a bettr world ?
    I suppose the only way is to try it
    but what safeguards are there ? if any ?
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I believe it's inevitable, the infrastructure is in place to build and expand upon a surveillance grid, cable,sattelite,telephone lines, all they need to do is centralise and coordinate....I remember a good movie I watched once with Gene Hackmann called "The Conversation" and this is early 70's type technology, which has certainly come a long way since then....

Also it's insidious, in how it is appearing, it's slow and unnoticable to an extent, people aren't paying attention.....until it's too late and it's entrenched into law....

As to being a benefit towards the inhabitants, if it's used properly then yeah maybe, but you would have to ensure their would be checks and balances in place to avoid possible abuse.....

They have allready started to put the video aspect into practise, I think it's being bandied about here in Canada in a few jurisdictions one being Toronto, and with the recent news about driveby shootings and all, this may be sped up.....The UK has had them for awhile now, and I think it's a mixed blessing in some areas or for some people..

Eventually, you tend to get used to changes, to a point that you don't even notice them anymore, who actually thinks about the video camera behind an ATM nowadays, that's a form of surveillance, click, got your pic, now put it on file with the account number you just typed into the machine.This file is now available to anyone who works for that bank or security firm working for that bank.......?

Claude Swanson

I believe it's inevitable, the infrastructure is in place to build and expand upon a surveillance grid, cable,sattelite,telephone lines, all they need to do is centralise and coordinate....I remember a good movie I watched once with Gene Hackmann called "The Conversation" and this is early 70's type technology, which has certainly come a long way since then....

Also it's insidious, in how it is appearing, it's slow and unnoticable to an extent, people aren't paying attention.....until it's too late and it's entrenched into law....

As to being a benefit towards the inhabitants, if it's used properly then yeah maybe, but you would have to ensure their would be checks and balances in place to avoid possible abuse.....

They have allready started to put the video aspect into practise, I think it's being bandied about here in Canada in a few jurisdictions one being Toronto, and with the recent news about driveby shootings and all, this may be sped up.....The UK has had them for awhile now, and I think it's a mixed blessing in some areas or for some people..

Eventually, you tend to get used to changes, to a point that you don't even notice them anymore, who actually thinks about the video camera behind an ATM nowadays, that's a form of surveillance, click, got your pic, now put it on file with the account number you just typed into the machine.This file is now available to anyone who works for that bank or security firm working for that bank.......?

Claude Swanson

Not sure if you know this dalek but over here if you are in a public place you can legally be photographed or filmed.

The exception is if you are a sitting (in sessions) crown court or high court judge, then it is illegal

Not sure if you know this dalek but over here if you are in a public place you can legally be photographed or filmed.

The exception is if you are a sitting (in sessions) crown court or high court judge, then it is illegal