Help Me Out!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Out!

Exclamation Help Me Out!

Ok I know it's dumb..But I was in my mom's computer and I was browsing the different wireless network connections with Net stumbler, so I changed my own SSID to someone else's that was not encrypted..It worked fine I was running on their bandwidth..Then when I wanted to change back to the regular wireless that she uses...It didn't let me...Now the computer has no wireless connection..I did everything....Ipconfig/renew release...I tried enabling it and disabling it, i went to OTHER NETWORK CONNECTIONS "nothing shows up" and all I get when I do ipconfig is MEDIA DISCONNECTED!!!!My mom is going to kill me she can't use the internet and I have to fix this problem without having to do a system restore which I read someone else said...WHAT DO I DO!!!HELP ME!!!....Thanks so much I am a newbie :-)
    The Learner

Exclamation Help Me Out!

Ok I know it's dumb..But I was in my mom's computer and I was browsing the different wireless network connections with Net stumbler, so I changed my own SSID to someone else's that was not encrypted..It worked fine I was running on their bandwidth..Then when I wanted to change back to the regular wireless that she uses...It didn't let me...Now the computer has no wireless connection..I did everything....Ipconfig/renew release...I tried enabling it and disabling it, i went to OTHER NETWORK CONNECTIONS "nothing shows up" and all I get when I do ipconfig is MEDIA DISCONNECTED!!!!My mom is going to kill me she can't use the internet and I have to fix this problem without having to do a system restore which I read someone else said...WHAT DO I DO!!!HELP ME!!!....Thanks so much I am a newbie :-)
    The Learner

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Ok, I'm not entirely sure what may have happened but, there's a bunch of things that could have happened. Let's do a simple quick check to see if you've tried some basic stuff:
    1) Have you checked your Device Manager to see the status of your wireless NIC?
    2)Have you checked your wireless properties to make sure that :
    a) You'r Wireless NIC is configured to connect to the right network
    b) Your Mom's NEtwork is the first option in Preferred Networks
    c) If your mom was using encryption, that your login is using the proper encryption type
    3) Do you try rebooting the Router

I know these seem simple but I'm looking for a starting point to work from.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Ok, I'm not entirely sure what may have happened but, there's a bunch of things that could have happened. Let's do a simple quick check to see if you've tried some basic stuff:
    1) Have you checked your Device Manager to see the status of your wireless NIC?
    2)Have you checked your wireless properties to make sure that :
    a) You'r Wireless NIC is configured to connect to the right network
    b) Your Mom's NEtwork is the first option in Preferred Networks
    c) If your mom was using encryption, that your login is using the proper encryption type
    3) Do you try rebooting the Router

I know these seem simple but I'm looking for a starting point to work from.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

NOT a system restore....

Start by resetting your mothers router, then restart the computer. Now, since you didnt tell me what operating system you are running or what wireless network card you are using or what router you are using... etc. I cant give you exact help but I will make some assumptions..

MY ASSUMPTIONS:
    using a laptop
    windows XP
    typical namebrand card

go to Start>Settings>control Panel>Network Connections

right click your wireless network setup, choose view available wireless networks
    click the advanced button, then click the refresh button, it should come up with a bunch of different wireless networks, in the bottom window remove the wireless networks that arent yours. then refresh it again, close the window then right click that card again and view available. reselect your wireless card.... it should work now
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

NOT a system restore....

Start by resetting your mothers router, then restart the computer. Now, since you didnt tell me what operating system you are running or what wireless network card you are using or what router you are using... etc. I cant give you exact help but I will make some assumptions..

MY ASSUMPTIONS:
    using a laptop
    windows XP
    typical namebrand card

go to Start>Settings>control Panel>Network Connections

right click your wireless network setup, choose view available wireless networks
    click the advanced button, then click the refresh button, it should come up with a bunch of different wireless networks, in the bottom window remove the wireless networks that arent yours. then refresh it again, close the window then right click that card again and view available. reselect your wireless card.... it should work now
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Well Thanks for the info, but I fixed the problem and I didn't have to do any of that....I did all that network stuff, refresh all that and it didn't work..So for the future if ANYONE has this problem...YOU CAN DO THIS....I went to settings>control panel>Administrative tools>services>wireless zero configuration...then click the service status to START because it was stopped....That's what I did and everything was fine afterwardss.....THanks to all though.......ciao
    The Learner

Well Thanks for the info, but I fixed the problem and I didn't have to do any of that....I did all that network stuff, refresh all that and it didn't work..So for the future if ANYONE has this problem...YOU CAN DO THIS....I went to settings>control panel>Administrative tools>services>wireless zero configuration...then click the service status to START because it was stopped....That's what I did and everything was fine afterwardss.....THanks to all though.......ciao
    The Learner

Banned
    Dang you figured it out before I got here

I usually do what is mentioned because nothing annoys me more than having my switch off for my wifi, yet the tray icon continually tells you "no wireless networks found"

So I go into the configuration and disable the wireless adapter until required.

So this is basically a tip for those annoyed with the missing network pop-up

Banned
    Dang you figured it out before I got here

I usually do what is mentioned because nothing annoys me more than having my switch off for my wifi, yet the tray icon continually tells you "no wireless networks found"

So I go into the configuration and disable the wireless adapter until required.

So this is basically a tip for those annoyed with the missing network pop-up