Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Out!

yes I do know all this and I was trying it out not to capture others traffic but my own just because i am a newbie and was trying some stuff out just for knowledge to get more familiar with networking
    The Learner

yes I do know all this and I was trying it out not to capture others traffic but my own just because i am a newbie and was trying some stuff out just for knowledge to get more familiar with networking
    The Learner

Does anyone know what file types can be opened with powerpoint???I have this photo which i wanted to edit which is a JPEG file and I can't open it wil PPS...I thought maybe it was like adobe that you could open with whichever file and then change it to PPS....???
    The Learner

This isnt the correct forum for that question.

ok
    The Learner

ok i have a problem with my internet connection..could someone help me out??This is the senario..I am running XP and have DSL I also have wireless..I have 2 laptops...So I just moved and do not have my dsl running yet but i connected the router and everything...I have one laptop running on dialup for the moment until my DSL is up again and the other comupter, I was trying to use the wireless...SOooo on my wireless computer I see that I am connected, that I have a wireless connection...I have no LAN cable connected because I have to physical connection...But I can not get on the web. I try to open my MSN Messanger and it says my DNS server is not right and that the key ports have a problem..I also can not ping myself...I am kinda new so is this because I do not have a dsl connection yet and on the router it has a red light on the broadband link???I don't understand because I have a connection but can not get onto the server??Is there anything I can do??I have to use my other computer..and would like to as soon as possible...Thanks
    The Learner

A red light on the broadband link usually means their is not broadband service availble. When the service is availible it will probly flash yellow while connecting and go solid green once it has connected. A lot of the comman dsl routers work like this anyway. If both laptops can connect to the router, you might check technet.com for how to set up internet conection sharing, though I really do not recommend it, since it would make the dial up seem even slower.

If the router was provided by the DSL service and came with a CD you might try running their software or activating the service though their site. I know that with sbc once the dsl line has been put inand the equipment arrives, you can set it up even if your offical start date is up to a week off.

Well, if the dsl isn't working yet, naturally you can't connect.
    Now, if the computer on dialup has a network card, it could run
    ICS to share the connection. If it has a wireless card, it could share
    the connection to the router, which could, in turn, share to the other
    computer.

What I used to do was run ICS on a computer on dialup. It had a modem
    and a network card. The network card was connected to a linksys
    4 port switch, and to other computers. No router necessary.

Getting all this to work on wireless may be a pain, and if your dsl
    is going to be activated soon, why bother?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

thanks for the info........I am running one of my laptops on dial up and I guess I might as well wait for DSL to be up so I can use the wireless on the other computer....The only thing that i didn´t understand is how I can have my wireless connected on one computer but not be able to access the server..Then shouldn´t it just say that I have no wireless connection. I don´t have a switch on the computer that can connect to wireless..So I guess I would just wait..
    The Learner

the wireless connection is not part of the dsl connection. it is part of your local area network just because the dsl service isnt active doent mean your lan has to go offline.