Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Port Scan Attack

Port Scan Attack

Hi All,

I often get a message on my home PC.

An alert message appears saying something about 'Port Scan' attack.

What exactly is this?

I am using a LAN at my place.

thanks.
    Riya
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

Port Scan Attack

Hi All,

I often get a message on my home PC.

An alert message appears saying something about 'Port Scan' attack.

What exactly is this?

I am using a LAN at my place.

thanks.
    Riya
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

Ok, This is not always a cause for concern. But, this can be one of two things.

(1) It is a malicious user attempting to scan your computer/range of computers for open ports or vunerabilities.

(2) Some ligitimate traffic that can set off the firewall to thinking it is (1), this is an often occurence.

hope i helped

Ok, This is not always a cause for concern. But, this can be one of two things.

(1) It is a malicious user attempting to scan your computer/range of computers for open ports or vunerabilities.

(2) Some ligitimate traffic that can set off the firewall to thinking it is (1), this is an often occurence.

hope i helped

Check your firewall logs and you can check where the port scans are coming from. Maybe you have unsecured wireless access to your LAN and a neighbor's camping out on your cloud, scanning you. Then again, could just be a virus randomly scanning from the WWW.

I find it a bit odd that you're picking up a port scan on your PC when generally such a scan wouldn't make it past your router.

What's your LAN setup? You wireless?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Check your firewall logs and you can check where the port scans are coming from. Maybe you have unsecured wireless access to your LAN and a neighbor's camping out on your cloud, scanning you. Then again, could just be a virus randomly scanning from the WWW.

I find it a bit odd that you're picking up a port scan on your PC when generally such a scan wouldn't make it past your router.

What's your LAN setup? You wireless?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hi

Well you have not provided much information about the setup of LAN !

The computer has got certain ports that can be used for accessing various services on the internet like we use port 80 for browsing. The ports help our computer to get various services from the servers running those services like FTP, SMTP etc.

A portscan occurs as rightly stated by Modd' in any of the two conditions. If a port on your computer is found to be open and accessible then using any vunrebility if present and if it is done by a person then your computer may be in trouble as it can sometimes even be used to take control of the PC. I hope that it is your firewall that gives this message and it is a good thing as it shows it works fine. I hope it also gives you a IP address with it too. What you can do is to ban this ip address form accessing your machine for some time like an hour or so.

Moreover if you use some file sharing program like bitTorrent, Kaaza, LimeWire etc. then these attacks or so can be due to the fact that these applications work on specific ports and the other machines might be scanning yours for this port to find if it is open or not to attempt to connect to your machine.

Using good firewall settings you can definitely be saved from such attacks.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Hi

Well you have not provided much information about the setup of LAN !

The computer has got certain ports that can be used for accessing various services on the internet like we use port 80 for browsing. The ports help our computer to get various services from the servers running those services like FTP, SMTP etc.

A portscan occurs as rightly stated by Modd' in any of the two conditions. If a port on your computer is found to be open and accessible then using any vunrebility if present and if it is done by a person then your computer may be in trouble as it can sometimes even be used to take control of the PC. I hope that it is your firewall that gives this message and it is a good thing as it shows it works fine. I hope it also gives you a IP address with it too. What you can do is to ban this ip address form accessing your machine for some time like an hour or so.

Moreover if you use some file sharing program like bitTorrent, Kaaza, LimeWire etc. then these attacks or so can be due to the fact that these applications work on specific ports and the other machines might be scanning yours for this port to find if it is open or not to attempt to connect to your machine.

Using good firewall settings you can definitely be saved from such attacks.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Greeting's

Here is a good article that might help you undertand basics of port scanning :

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/re...t_scanning.asp
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Greeting's

Here is a good article that might help you undertand basics of port scanning :

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/re...t_scanning.asp
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.