Serial ATA help..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serial ATA help..

Serial ATA help..

I'm making an inventory for a new computer I'm going to build. My brother has just recently made one, and introduced to me Serial ATA (or SATA), which I had never heard of. He, just like me is unfamiliar with SATA and I'm confused.

The motherboard I placed in my inventory supports SATA I, when I go to look for a hard drive to buy in the search option I have either "SATA 3.0gb/s" or "Serial ATA150". I'm unsure which is SATA I. My brother doesn't know either because his mobo supports SATA I and SATA II.

I did some image googling to see which is the SATA I cable and to see if I can find a distinction between the two. I came up with no conclusive results. According to my results SATA II is also known as eSATA, which is that cable that doesn't have that 'L' shape on the connector, whereas SATA I is the one with the 'L' shape at the connector. However, which is SATA I? SATA 3.0gb/s or Serial ATA150?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Serial ATA help..

I'm making an inventory for a new computer I'm going to build. My brother has just recently made one, and introduced to me Serial ATA (or SATA), which I had never heard of. He, just like me is unfamiliar with SATA and I'm confused.

The motherboard I placed in my inventory supports SATA I, when I go to look for a hard drive to buy in the search option I have either "SATA 3.0gb/s" or "Serial ATA150". I'm unsure which is SATA I. My brother doesn't know either because his mobo supports SATA I and SATA II.

I did some image googling to see which is the SATA I cable and to see if I can find a distinction between the two. I came up with no conclusive results. According to my results SATA II is also known as eSATA, which is that cable that doesn't have that 'L' shape on the connector, whereas SATA I is the one with the 'L' shape at the connector. However, which is SATA I? SATA 3.0gb/s or Serial ATA150?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Neither mate..............this site should have everything you want to know about SATA, from the horse's mouth, so to speak

http://www.sata-io.org/namingguidelines.asp

Neither mate..............this site should have everything you want to know about SATA, from the horse's mouth, so to speak

http://www.sata-io.org/namingguidelines.asp

Well, that still leaves me confused, if not even more confused, since now, according to the information you provided, newegg (where I'm buying all my parts) doesn't have a hard drive compatible to my mobo. Also, that website doesn't provide any information about SATA I, only SATA II. Also, which interface SHOULD I be looking for then on my hard drive?

EDIT: I don't know if it'll help, but this is the mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131569

Well, that still leaves me confused, if not even more confused, since now, according to the information you provided, newegg (where I'm buying all my parts) doesn't have a hard drive compatible to my mobo. Also, that website doesn't provide any information about SATA I, only SATA II. Also, which interface SHOULD I be looking for then on my hard drive?

EDIT: I don't know if it'll help, but this is the mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131569

Blast From the Past
    SATA is a newer technology, but its gaining some speed

i dont know much about it.. but im running a SATA board with a SATA HDD

dont count me on this.. but i think SATA I and SATA II are backwards compatiable... seems to be teh trend nowadays

try and think of it like USB and USB2... one is just faster

from what i got from nihil's link... SATA II is the old company name... which is now SATA IO...

if you get a drive that is SATA 150.. it will run at 150m/s ... if you get a SATA 3gig... it will run at 3gig/s

just trying to simplify.. hope this helps

and if you buy the wrong drive... you can most likely return it..

last thing... browse this over.. little extra verbage but might help some

http://www.sata-io.org/docs/serialata%20-%20a%20comparison%20with%20ultra%20ata%20technology.pdf
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Blast From the Past
    SATA is a newer technology, but its gaining some speed

i dont know much about it.. but im running a SATA board with a SATA HDD

dont count me on this.. but i think SATA I and SATA II are backwards compatiable... seems to be teh trend nowadays

try and think of it like USB and USB2... one is just faster

from what i got from nihil's link... SATA II is the old company name... which is now SATA IO...

if you get a drive that is SATA 150.. it will run at 150m/s ... if you get a SATA 3gig... it will run at 3gig/s

just trying to simplify.. hope this helps

and if you buy the wrong drive... you can most likely return it..

last thing... browse this over.. little extra verbage but might help some

http://www.sata-io.org/docs/serialata%20-%20a%20comparison%20with%20ultra%20ata%20technology.pdf
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

I guess manufacturers are still using old naming systems.

No big deal, for a new box just get the latest.

I am forever getting hacked off by people who go and buy USB devices that aren't compatible. Whatever hardware it is, just get the latest standard...............it will last longer and have a good chance of working with stuff that comes along afterwards.

I guess manufacturers are still using old naming systems.

No big deal, for a new box just get the latest.

I am forever getting hacked off by people who go and buy USB devices that aren't compatible. Whatever hardware it is, just get the latest standard...............it will last longer and have a good chance of working with stuff that comes along afterwards.