Their Levees - Our Levees
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Their Levees - Our Levees

Hey Hey,

None of this applies to me but it's the article title... I figure this is the best place as comments for this may get out of hand regarding it... Any comments.... Is that actually all that was in place in New Orleans???

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0112-15.htm

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Hey Hey,

None of this applies to me but it's the article title... I figure this is the best place as comments for this may get out of hand regarding it... Any comments.... Is that actually all that was in place in New Orleans???

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0112-15.htm

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Well the pictures are pretty self-explanatory. However, having been in NOLA back in 1988.......They were in pretty good shape the 17 years ago They were much larger than those depicted, those could be secondaries or something. But the bottom line is that they did fail as predicted. The Mayor, the County and the State should hang. It's their baby and they had the funds or least could have done more rather than just point the finger of scorn towards Washington.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Well the pictures are pretty self-explanatory. However, having been in NOLA back in 1988.......They were in pretty good shape the 17 years ago They were much larger than those depicted, those could be secondaries or something. But the bottom line is that they did fail as predicted. The Mayor, the County and the State should hang. It's their baby and they had the funds or least could have done more rather than just point the finger of scorn towards Washington.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I figure this is the best place as comments for this may get out of hand regarding it
    No argument here... I agree, the levee's were pathetic. They looked like levee's from a third world country without money or resources... Unfortunately it takes a disaster for the US government to take this stuff seriously...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I figure this is the best place as comments for this may get out of hand regarding it
    No argument here... I agree, the levee's were pathetic. They looked like levee's from a third world country without money or resources... Unfortunately it takes a disaster for the US government to take this stuff seriously...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

There are alot of major reasons why these differences are so stark. However, they're mostly political ones and incompetence at the local government level. The US government doesn't deserve and blame for why the disaster happened in NO. The Louisianna State gov. and NO itself deserve the blame. What alot of non US citizens don't seem to understand, (and even alot of Yankees for that matter) is that the USA is not a Federal Unitary government.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

There are alot of major reasons why these differences are so stark. However, they're mostly political ones and incompetence at the local government level. The US government doesn't deserve and blame for why the disaster happened in NO. The Louisianna State gov. and NO itself deserve the blame. What alot of non US citizens don't seem to understand, (and even alot of Yankees for that matter) is that the USA is not a Federal Unitary government.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

As HTRegz says:

None of this applies to me
    ...................I would just like to add a few comments that might add a little perspective.

The three European schemes depicted are vastly different from the NO situation, not only in their cost but in the threat they are intended to counter They are basically defences against the sea and tidal fluctuations..................we don't get hurricanes here This is a year in year out threat that is continuous, and fairly predictable; both in location and magnitude...........hurricanes are not so obliging.

Looking at the NO picture, I can see that the retaining walls in the background are still intact. Also the walls that have failed appear to have done so because they were undermined, not because they were overwhelmed. IMHO this is an engineering design/construction problem, and if you get that bit wrong, it does not matter how much money you throw at it.

As I see it the main failings were:

1. Defences designed to withstand a category 3 event when it was known that category 5 events were possible, and those inbetween were probable.

2. Failure to take account of rapidly changing coastlines, ocean currents and climatic behaviour patterns. Sea defences need to be reviewed on an ongoing basis, not every 20 years........I live on the coast and see this happening all the time over here.

If you want to read more this is an excellent site, just browse the links on the left

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

As HTRegz says:

None of this applies to me
    ...................I would just like to add a few comments that might add a little perspective.

The three European schemes depicted are vastly different from the NO situation, not only in their cost but in the threat they are intended to counter They are basically defences against the sea and tidal fluctuations..................we don't get hurricanes here This is a year in year out threat that is continuous, and fairly predictable; both in location and magnitude...........hurricanes are not so obliging.

Looking at the NO picture, I can see that the retaining walls in the background are still intact. Also the walls that have failed appear to have done so because they were undermined, not because they were overwhelmed. IMHO this is an engineering design/construction problem, and if you get that bit wrong, it does not matter how much money you throw at it.

As I see it the main failings were:

1. Defences designed to withstand a category 3 event when it was known that category 5 events were possible, and those inbetween were probable.

2. Failure to take account of rapidly changing coastlines, ocean currents and climatic behaviour patterns. Sea defences need to be reviewed on an ongoing basis, not every 20 years........I live on the coast and see this happening all the time over here.

If you want to read more this is an excellent site, just browse the links on the left

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/