Removal of CD spinner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removal of CD spinner

Removal of CD spinner

Is there a way to remove and replace just the little platform that actually spins th cd? Thanks.

Removal of CD spinner

Is there a way to remove and replace just the little platform that actually spins th cd? Thanks.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    That's just stupid, just get a new drive for 30 bucks...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

AFLAAACKKK!!
    That's just stupid, just get a new drive for 30 bucks...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    any other details ?

what type of PC / Laptop
    what make of CD ROM / RW ?
    why ?

the new parts ARE cheap
    so why not buy new ?

I would imagine it IS possible ..........
    but quicker, and therefore cheaper to replace completly
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    any other details ?

what type of PC / Laptop
    what make of CD ROM / RW ?
    why ?

the new parts ARE cheap
    so why not buy new ?

I would imagine it IS possible ..........
    but quicker, and therefore cheaper to replace completly
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Just replace the motor, that controls the spin etc etc.
    You might need to update the laser also. in the end i would just recommened purchasing a new DVD\CD drive.

Just replace the motor, that controls the spin etc etc.
    You might need to update the laser also. in the end i would just recommened purchasing a new DVD\CD drive.

Hello hiperchyld and welcome to AO (first post in "Hardware"...........I like it!

I would also ask for the info that Foxy~ did. But I have a few more questions:

1. What is the nature of the problem you are experiencing?
    2. Am I right that it is the drawer (the bit that goes in and out) that is broken?
    3. Why do you think that replacing the drawer would fix the problem?
    4. What testing have you done/things you have tried...........or is it just physically broken?

I must admit that I have never repaired a CD drive, although I have fixed a lot by cleaning them. I actually have a small collection of electronically "dead" ones to cannibalise parts from if needed. I have never had an opportunity, though I would advise caution, as it is a laser device.

The other guys are quite right, they are usually not worth "repairing" as such, given that they are cheap and only take a few minutes to install. In a repair shop you don't bother to mess about because the labour charges are so high in relation to a replacement of the whole unit

Another question is: what are the specifications of the drive? like is it read/write/rewrite, read only, and what speed?

You might do yourself a favour by getting a new one with better specifications?

Hello hiperchyld and welcome to AO (first post in "Hardware"...........I like it!

I would also ask for the info that Foxy~ did. But I have a few more questions:

1. What is the nature of the problem you are experiencing?
    2. Am I right that it is the drawer (the bit that goes in and out) that is broken?
    3. Why do you think that replacing the drawer would fix the problem?
    4. What testing have you done/things you have tried...........or is it just physically broken?

I must admit that I have never repaired a CD drive, although I have fixed a lot by cleaning them. I actually have a small collection of electronically "dead" ones to cannibalise parts from if needed. I have never had an opportunity, though I would advise caution, as it is a laser device.

The other guys are quite right, they are usually not worth "repairing" as such, given that they are cheap and only take a few minutes to install. In a repair shop you don't bother to mess about because the labour charges are so high in relation to a replacement of the whole unit

Another question is: what are the specifications of the drive? like is it read/write/rewrite, read only, and what speed?

You might do yourself a favour by getting a new one with better specifications?