Taking control....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking control....

Taking control....

First note: Any system discussed in this tread is mine and I hold full rights on it.
    Second note: Any programs I will ask for are to be used on my network on wich I hold full admin rights. I don't want to use them for any "evil" stuf. They are to be used on my own home network.

Boxes: Windows XP pro and windows 98 SE.
    Network: Home network non-wireless.

Question (or as the template say's problem)

On our already existing homenetwork we want to ad a 3e (third) computer. This was already connected once but after I got a new computer I never used it again. So we want to move it downstairs. But... (here comes my question):
    I am lazy, so once the computer downstairs is online I don't want to go down and start up the things I want it to run (think about IRC etc.). So I am looking for a remote desktop program. But not a sneaky once liek a trojan. I don't care if the one behind the computer knows that I 'm using it. I just want to be able to type and move the mouse. Just imagne me sitting upstairs and chatting on IRC downstairs trough that program.

Does any of you know any good programs that will help me realize this dream? I am open to any suggestions as well as willing to provide more info.

-DakX-
    [T]he future is now.

Banned
    what operating system will the third computer be using? if it is windows, you have remote desktop, if it is a unix or linux machine you can use ssh and log in as root and do whatever is needed.

It say's so right in the start:
    Boxes: windows XP and win 98 SE
    The third box is the 98 computer.
    Could you give more information regarding the program other then just saying this or that.
    [T]he future is now.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Ok, "remote desktop" is basically a utility built into windows XP that allows a computer on the network to remotely connect to another computer on the network. It will allow you to view the desktop and move the mouse on the remote machine as if you were actually there. And it's easy to use, just run the utility, type the IP address of the remote machine, type in your username and password and your in. But for this to work you need the remote computer to be set to allow remote connections... You also need two windows xp boxes. I don't think 98 SE has a utility like this...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Banned
    1. Hey!!! don't "demand" **** from us here...

2. This is what you are looking for...

http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

install server and register it on the system you want to control

install clinet/viewer on the system you want to control from

Originally posted here by unhappy
    1. Hey!!! don't "demand" **** from us here...

2. This is what you are looking for...

http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

install server and register it on the system you want to control

install clinet/viewer on the system you want to control from
    I wasn't demanding, I just had a list of preference's of wich the program had to apply to. I didn't mean to sound bossy or demanding. Sorry if it felt that way.

Thx for the link.
    [T]he future is now.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Depending on how your network is set up this might help you too. Slarty from here wrote it and I have used it for a year or two with great success.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    tiger... can you drag and drop files w/ that system you posted link to?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Never tried it.... I would guess "no"... But next time I use it I'll try for a giggle if you like.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

We use pcAnywhere at my place of work, it's fairly easy to use and set up, we have the latest version, but I am sure the earlier versions will be dirt cheap by now, and should be okay for what you want.

pcAnywhere

PDF
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson