Thread: I think too much.

I think too much.

Well i had some free time at work and began figuring out whether or not i should get a KVM switch or just get another monitor when i had a thought. I will be getting a USB KVM switch since my mouse and keyboard are USB. Now they are also a wireless combo so they share the receiver and therefore will only use one usb port on the switch itself.

Here is my question: Can i hook up my usb hub to the unused usb port on the switch allowing my external hdd, game controlers, and a couple other things to use the switch to also change between pcs?

Once again thanks in advance for any help.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi,

I recently got a KVM for Xmas, Monitor, two USBS, and sound port.

Now i haven't tried plugging anything else into it yet, but heres how i see it. All the switch does is simulate unplugging hardware from one machine, and plugging it into another. that is why USB is perfect as it is designed to be extremely plug and play compatible. So if for example you plugged a USB stick into it then all that will happen is when you switch PCs, the new one will think you have just plugged the stick in and register it like normal. When you switch back the computer will think you've just pulled the usb stick out, and the other one will think you've just plugged it in.

if this is the case then 99% of hardware that connects through USB will work. The only drawback with it for example would be that you couldn't plug a stick into the KVM, set the machine off running something on the stick and then swap while its finishing as the machine will just think you have unplugged it!

So in short i would say yes, as long as all the devices on the hub and the hub itself do not need to be plugged in on boot up.
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Is the KVM powered? I know some unpowered USB hubs can have problems with a lot of devices plugged in. If it's an unpowered KVM it might have some problems.

I've not tried this it's just a thought that occurred to me.

Aspman:

The KVM that i have is unpowered, and as far as the USB Ports go it is basically acting as a two port hub.

Therefore you are totally correct in pointing out that if you then ran another unpowered hub off the KVM you are running the risk of not having enough power!

Thanks
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

well then lucky for me my hub is self powered. I will be picking up the KVM switch today after work and will let you all know if it works when i get home with it.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin