Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: France - and Europe are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore-a 'new'Google

France - and Europe are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore-a 'new'Google

Just saw this as I was looking for information on the hostage

Europe - in particular, France is looking to cream the US with a new version of Google:

Link: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...9F9E8ED01B.htm

My question is - why? If they want to snub the US - make an advance in something new in IT - not revamped something already done. And maybe they are - maybe it's a multi-pronged attack - I don't know - but it is interesting nonetheless.

Also a quote from the story:
    Quaero is billed as Europe's answer to Google, but it has a lot to live up to.

The awkward word - which means "to search" in Latin - is unlikely to flash across the continent's computer screens anytime soon.

So far Quaero is just a scattering of top tech minds in labs across France and Germany, working on what they hope will be the world's most advanced multimedia search engine.

Quaero epitomises European ambitions - especially for French President Jacques Chirac - of creating alternatives to US technological prowess.
    Anddddd...
    Quaero is the latest in a string of largely French-led efforts to compete with America's dominance of the global marketplace, a theme of Chirac's foreign policy.
    And they call us imperialist pigs - interesting - hold on... I needs more slop.... hmmm-mmm - good. I don't know where they get that!

Separate topic - I found the news I was orginally looking for as well - I hope something can be worked out post-haste:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...C2DFBD63F6.htm
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    if it's france

read the sig
    why oh why do they insist on re-inventing the wheel on almost every subject imaginable ?

they don't like jumbo jet, try un grand porteur [sp]

if it gets up the frenchie noses, then it can't be all bad .........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Reminds me of that song "Everything you can do I can do better", except maybe that would apply a little better if we were to re-word it as "Everything you can do we can try and do better only to fail again and again"

Like foxy siad, france really needs to stop trying to improve upon not only already existing technology, but technology that really doesn't need to be improved upon yet. If france really wants to feel special let them help with something like, o i don't know, world peace, terrorism . . . .
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    why do you care ... let them do whatever they want

pffff

Errr........

How is the French Model "T" motor car replacement program going?

Originally posted here by nihil
    Errr........

How is the French Model "T" motor car replacement program going?
    I think it is going well for them. They finally figured out a way to reinvent the wheel, now they need to do it 3 more times!

-Deeboe
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

http://tazforum.**********.com/

why do you care ... let them do whatever they want

pffff
    I think it's interesting that people who hate us so much - work to one-up us all the time - I don't care if they do one-or more-than-one us up - it's all for naught as the ideas get copied anyway - doesn't matter the country - could be the US or Canada or whatever - what will it prove - zip!

If Mexico or Greenland invented Google - would France have a hissy, throw their pastries and wine glasses, straighten out their berets, take a shower and start programming?!?

I care - because they care - and I send Hallmark cards because I care so much. Actually I care because I can and while I love the architecture in Paris, I could not stand most of the Parisians when I was there. People outside of Paris are great.

Well that and Chirac is trying to one up a country lead by a Dubya - and it just starts me a laughing. And yes Dubya is the Commander-In-Chief - a position I respect highly - but as I found out in the military - I can respect the position/rank/office - I don't have to respect the person.

BTW - If they were serious - they would keep tabs on China and India - go one-up them. I want our country to become like Switzerland and get everyone off our a$$.
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

And maybe they are - maybe it's a multi-pronged attack -
    Well therein lies the problem, I guess they are really having delays in production. Everytime Chirac fires them up to go attack the American Market, they surrender and he has to hire new techs.

Connection refused, try again later.

Banned
    I'll tell you what ... why don't we bomb them. HUH?

You had bad experiences w/ the French on your trip so now you are pissed. So what?

Everyone has a right to compete. If Peru tried for the same thing would you post it?

President Toledo also stated that Peru is really experiencing delays in production as well. Everytime Toledo fires them up to go attack the American Market, the burros go on strike because they can only make two trips a week up and down the Andes.

Connection refused, try again later.