Thread: A question about ARP tables

A question about ARP tables

Scenario: A node sends an ip packet through several hops on a large ip network (the internet) to make a request from a web server for the first time. I know the packet contains, among other things, headers of the assigned ip/mac address of this sender intended to be used as a return address by the server.

Question: Are the ip/mac return addresses that the web server eventually recieves those of the originating node, or are they the ip/mac of the first router in the line of return hops to that node?
    In otherwords, in the process of multiplexing and demultiplexing the headers through the stack of each consecutive router, are the ip/mac headers replaced with that of the next, successive router, all the way up to the web server (ergo the server only has to wory about sending the return packet to the first router in the return line), or is the ip/mac info of the original sender preserved as it hits the web server?

Hi

In a nutshell:
    You want to send a IP packet (Layer 3) from 71.13.206.98 to 72.14.207.99.
    A router is at 71.13.206.1.

First, your box 71.13.206.98 looks up his routing table - the packet has to be
    sent to 71.13.206.1.. But how? Your box broadcasts an ARP request, which
    gives back the MAC address of 71.13.206.1. You add this information to your
    packet - the resulting frame (Layer 2) contains the MAC addresses of
    your box and the router, the IP packet still has as source 71.13.206.98, as
    destination 72.14.207.99.

Then, your router strips off the Layer 2 information (the MAC addresses) and
    checks his routing table. The router adds his MAC address and the one of the
    next router to the original packet, leaving the content of the IP packet
    unchanged. The frame is sent to the destination MAC address etc.

Conclusion: The web-server at 72.14.207.99 sees the MAC address of the last router
    in the hopping chain, for example 72.14.207.1, but the IP source address of the requester,
    ie. 71.13.206.98. Note that often your box is behind some NAT mechanism, ie. the
    web-server will see the external address of the router "at 71.13.206.1".

Here we see an example of a routable / non-routable protocol.

Cheers.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Thank you for your reply.

I understand why that works. I was hoping to use tcpdump or something similar to record the nic addresses of (original)nodes making requests to my server as a way of compiling usage data of specific nodes over time, but most of those nodes aren't calling from my subnet (long hop chains)/they're assigned dynamic ip addresses/they don't accept cookies well/etc. If I can't see the originators device address, it might rule this idea out.

Do you have any suggestions I could try?

Ninja Code Monkey
    Why is this in the web dev forum?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

dgnorton: how long are the DHCP assignments?

Are there too many hosts or are the leases to short to do address/mac resolution (each DHCP period...) and have a simple lookup to log all data for IP? [swap IP for mac when you store].

How accurate do u want these statistics? ballpark or on the dot?

I don't know what backend you could have on tcpdump...

If you can integrate with your DHCP/DNS you may be able to get around it.

Thinking out loud...