Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FasterFox Bad.?.

FasterFox Bad.?.

Howdy.

i was over at DnsStuff and i was doing IPWhois lookup, well because i'm bored.
    Anyhow i'm using firefox, and i got that FasterFox installed. anyhow i got this error page.
    FORBIDDEN: Pre-fetching abuses our website.

If you are using the FireFox extension 'FasterFox', it is very poor and will block you from websites that it abuses. Please uninstall it (and perhaps add a comment to the FasterFox page. If you are not running it, you are running some sort of poor extension that pre-fetches pages that it shouldn't (ones without a 'link' marker). Once you have done this, you can re-load this page. Note that if you do not remove the rogue program, you will continue to see this message occasionally.

If everyone did this, it could easily quadruple the load on our server, and increase the total amount of wasted bandwidth on the Internet by 10 times or more. While we should be able to handle at least 10 times our current load, other websites aren't so lucky, and the operators may have to pay extra money as a result -- and perhaps shut down their websites. FasterFox abuses the Internet, there is no question about that.

NOTE: There *are* a few other rarely used programs besides FireFox that do this (there appears to be a rogue web proxy that does this too).
    So is the FasterFox really as bad as they are making it sound to be.?
    i've been told only about how good it is etc etc, and i've noticed pages loading up a hello a lot quicker while using it.
    But is what this error page is saying true at all.?

cheers
    front2back

I will clean the post up after i've had a coffee.

Well F2B, that's a great question. I installed in on all of my FF's and there is definitely and improvement. I haven't ran across the error yet, they don't show up as malware, so.....

Connection refused, try again later.

Hey Fronties~ yooze ole bludger.................why did ya blow our cover?...........from your link:

Your IP: 86.128.xxx.xxx
    ASN: 2856 [BT-UK-AS (BTnet UK Regional network)]
    Near: Toronto, Ontario
    United Kingdom

Them Canucks now know that I am reabsorbing them into the Empire.............

.:front2back:.

I am currently using FasterFox 1.0.1 and I went to dns and tried to see if I could recreate your error, and couldn't....It is a good deal faster.....do you have anything else as far as extensions that help with the performance of FF, I have Noscript,Adblock,Tabbed Browser,talkback and image zoom and it seems to be working fine...

There are some tweaks you can do in about:config which may work around that problem, this link has some of the tuning options explained:

Firefox Tuning .....

Them Canucks now know that I am reabsorbing them into the Empire.............
    nihil

Alpo, tis the other way around..............
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Alpo, tis the other way around..............
    Nihil:

Lookout... That sounds bad... Canada will send three microlights and two canoes.... Their entire airforce and navy....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Howdy.

FasterFox.
    DownThemAll
    FireFTP
    ShowIP
    Live HTTP headers
    + 3 other little custome extensions i'm in the process of building.

Anyhow i've included a screen dump of the error, now i carn't get the index page to load up there.

hmm first coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

OK folks,

On a (slightly) more serious note, is London close to Toronto?............I know that Toronto is the provincial capital

Looks like a table record matching problem to me?...............mismatches London, Ontario and London, England.

Would YOU trust that software?

London is about one hour from Toronto and about 3 from Detroit.
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

about the same range as the micros and the canoes have....lol

Connection refused, try again later.

I'm vulnerable.... ROFLMAO