Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FasterFox Bad.?.

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Nihil:

Lookout... That sounds bad... Canada will send three microlights and two canoes.... Their entire airforce and navy....
    LOL....actually one slightly used canoe, unable to find enough Bosun's to man the other one, still waiting for the spare parts to arrive from UK....

On a (slightly) more serious note, is London close to Toronto?............I know that Toronto is the provincial capital
    Centre of Universe to some.....anyhoo irongeeks sig shows my IP as somewhere in Ottawa...sooo (scratches head).....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

anyhoo irongeeks sig shows my IP as somewhere in Ottawa...sooo
    That's all just a diversion so Tiger Shark won't know where the invasion is coming from.

Connection refused, try again later.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ahhh.... Brilliant... Absolutely Brilliant.... The Canadians are showing thier military acumen.... They are going to attack the US through Detroit.... Good luck kids... I'd go round if I were you.... There's some nasty momma's downtown.... Piss them off and you'll have their drug dealing sons all over you...

Before I started keeping reefs I thought Detritus was the inhabitants of Detroit....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Ahhh.... Brilliant... Absolutely Brilliant.... The Canadians are showing thier military acumen.... They are going to attack the US through Detroit.... Good luck kids... I'd go round if I were you.... There's some nasty momma's downtown.... Piss them off and you'll have their drug dealing sons all over you...

Before I started keeping reefs I thought Detritus was the inhabitants of Detroit....
    Nah, we would just commandeer one of Detroits 2 paddlewheelers and come ashore down by Amherstburgh, like through Bob-lo..............or if it's still there zug island....

.:front2back:.

What version of FF are you using.....this link has some info on prefetching with FF..
    http://www.edochan.com/programming/pf.htm

I ran the little test:
    Link prefetching is a browser mechanism, which utilizes browser idle time to download or prefetch documents that the user might visit in the near future. You need cookies enabled for this test to work.
    Variable Setting
    Prefetch is working.
    Prefetch referer Your browser sent the required X-Moz header and sent the following referer header along with the prefetch request:
    http://gemal.dk/browserspy/prefetch.php
    Another useful link here:FasterFox

Claude Swanson

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Err... The paddleboats have been derelict for years IIRC... I think they are crackhouses right now... The police run them.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

What version of FF are you using.....this link has some info on prefetching with FF..
    http://www.edochan.com/programming/pf.htm
    I'm using version 1.5

Sad what politics will do to something which had so much promise as well as so much of a threat to the other Airplane makers
    Sometime between the U.S. president's visit to Canada in July of 1958 and December of 1958, an agreement was reached with the U.S. that if the Arrow and its support systems were cancelled and Canada agreed to use U.S. equipment, there would be defence production sharing between Canada and the U.S. There is no indication of who initiated this agreement
    hhmmm talk about a conspiracy theory.....

What I can get from reading some of the others, is maybe a conflict with the cache or the google web accelerator.....???wow the Steelers are kicking butt......

Are there any restrictions on what is prefetched?
    Yes, only http:// URLs can be prefetched (https:// URLs are never prefetched for security reasons). Other protocols (such as FTP) do not provide rich enough support for client side caching. In addition to this restriction, URLs with a query string are not prefetched. This is done because such URLs often result in documents that cannot be reused out of the browser's cache, so prefetching them often has little benefit. We found that some existing sites utilize the <link rel="next"> tag with URLs containing query strings to reference the next document in a series of documents. Bugzilla is an example of such a site that does this, and it turns out that the Bugzilla bug reports are not cachable, so prefetching these URLs would nearly double the load on poor Bugzilla! It's easy to imagine other sites being designed like Bugzilla, so we explicitly do not prefetch URLs with query strings. (It might make sense to allow prefetching of these documents when the rel=prefetchrelation type is specified, since this should not appear in any existing content.) There are no other restrictions on the URLs that are prefetched.
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/netl...mething_in_the

Claude Swanson

Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with Fasterfox's unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing.
    http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/

Just from the description, it sounds evil to me. What happens when you hit a page
    that has a big number of links. Not only are you needlessly accessing all those
    servers, but wasting your own bandwidth. With four computers online,
    there is no such thing as idle bandwidth in my household.

More...

It seems that there is evil afoot. I did a little more research on "prefetch"
    and a lot of people are bitching about it. It apparently comes in two forms.
    One is like fasterfox, and prefetches all links, unless excluded by robots.txt.

The other doesn't require the fastfox addon, but prefetches links designated
    by the web page for prefetching. The plot thickens. It seems that Google
    marks the top search result for prefetching, so your browser automatically
    downloads the page, assuming that you would click that link anyway.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/f....html#prefetch

It probably distorts the statistics by generating extra hits on those pages.
    No wonder people will kill to get top rating in a google search. Once you are on top
    you get the artificial benefit of prefetch to keep you there. AFAIK, Internet Explorer
    is not (yet) guilty of this behavior.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.