Cisco 2950 Switch IOS recovery

Thread: Cisco 2950 Switch IOS recovery

Cisco 2950 Switch IOS recovery

I am running two Cisco 2950 series Catylyst switches. Only one of them has a valid flash image. I have tried to copy that image from the switch to my tftp server, but all of my attempts time out. The tftp server is on the same subnet as the switch, and the cables are working correctly. Can anyone think of any simple things that I may be forgetting?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    black_coder

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80094cae.shtml

I had a similar problem a good few months back with it constantly timing out, the above URL helped me. Yours may be a different problem though, have a look at it and see if it helps or not.
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Actually, That isn't my issue. I get activity on the link lights, but I never get anything other than

and then it times out. It's great fun.

Turns out that there was a driver installed that was being viewed as an ethernet adapter. It was taking priority over my NIC card. That is why I was able to ping the pc, but the pc couldn't ping the switch. I have gotten a backup of the IOS onto my TFTP server, and I am currently downloading the IOS onto the switch with the blank flash.

Originally posted here by black_coder
    Turns out that there was a driver installed that was being viewed as an ethernet adapter. It was taking priority over my NIC card. That is why I was able to ping the pc, but the pc couldn't ping the switch. I have gotten a backup of the IOS onto my TFTP server, and I am currently downloading the IOS onto the switch with the blank flash.
    How did you get IOS from the tftp server over to the switch? I am in a similar situation with a Cisco 3500 switch that has a blank flash. The boot loader command 'copy' unfortunately does not work the same as 'copy' in IOS (eg: copy tftp flash). Results from Google haven't been very helpful either. TIA.
    ; call kernel

Hmmm......Deleted the unknown driver that was causing the problem, transfered the IOS image over TFTP to my PC, then transfered it to the switch without an IOS using XMODEM. I said that I found a driver that was taking priority over my ethernet card, so I got rid of it.

Originally posted here by black_coder
    Hmmm......Deleted the unknown driver that was causing the problem, transfered the IOS image over TFTP to my PC, then transfered it to the switch without an IOS using XMODEM. I said that I found a driver that was taking priority over my ethernet card, so I got rid of it.
    What were the commands issued from your switch (that didn't have IOS)?

I am accessing this switch through minicom and an RJ45/Serial connection. The switch is also plugged into the network so that it can access the tftp server.
    ; call kernel

1. Get a copy of the IOS onto your tftp server. (copy flash: tftp:)

2. Connect to switch without IOS.

3. Prompt should be "switch:"

4. Issue the command "copy xmodem: flash:{filename}"

5. Begin the xmodem transfer on your terminal emulation software.

6. After transfer is complete, issue the boot flash:{filename} command.

Note: the transfer may take up to two hours.

The only options that I have found require xmodem. You will have to get a copy of the IOS onto the workstation with the terminal software.

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly enough I found the following url just after your response -- http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473...ing_image.html

Thanks again for the help
    ; call kernel