torrent's health

Thread: torrent's health

Banned

torrent's health

Can someone pls tell me what does health of torrent mean.

1. How can torrents w/ no peers or seeds find sources after you leave them connected for a while

2. How can a torrent's health be 3000%. I thought %'s go only to 100. Right????

The health of a torrent depends on how much seeders it has (people who have already downloaded the file and are just uploading to you)

To attempt to answer your first question, I would say that it finds a peer or a seed to download from eventually (one connects to the torrect and begins sharing)

I'm not sure about the 2nd one but I know it doesn't go up to 100%
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Banned
    Well ... there's only 100 % of ANYTHING

How can there be 3000 % of torrent

Basicly the writers are useing bastardised math.. essentially it is saying that it has 30 copies of the file to work from.. more copies the closer you should be able to achieve max download speed..

as for being able to download even when there are no seeders..
    you may have 10 peers with less than 30% but between you, you will have the 100% that is needed..
    The flip is.. you may not have any seeds in your part of the swarm, but that dosent mean that the peers that your connected to arent connected to a seed.. the hidden source..

rough but near enough for a start..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Banned
    ok ... now i understand the 3000% thing... (100% is one copy of a complete torrent)

but you bring up an interesting idea about "swarms"... how is the swarm determined in the whole network... Is it based on the lowest pings or number of hops?

I always thought that health meant how well the torrent is being used: e.g, how many people are using it, how many seeds, peers... Whether the file is still being downloaded, etc...

As for number 2, i dont know.... sorry

Hi, unhappy, You may think that this is off topic but it is worth bearing in mind in the general field of computing, particularly performance reporting.

The theoretical range for percentages is from -infinity to +infinity. If you think about it, those are the results of division by zero That is why computers scream blue murder when you ask them to divide by zero, as you have asked them to calculate infinity.

You need to keep an eye on this when you are doing marketing, sales, product reporting, etc. over time. You could well have a valid divide by zero if there were no values in the previous period. It could also be an indication of some sort of data collection error or corruption. To use blank, 0, or - is not correct, and could be misleading.

I prefer "dead eight", inf., or "not applicable (N/A)

In any case you need to intercept the standard divide by zero error condition message.