Thread: What really happens?

What really happens?

What actually happens when you install a program? The registry is edited and files are copied onto your hard drive, and i'm gussing they are then uncompressed, but assuming they're not compressed why couldnt you just copy the files onto another computer and copy the registry keys to another computer and run the program if they have the same file paths. And if they are compressed, what kind of compression is it, and how is it extracted?

Technically yes, but do you REALLY want to go around messing with the registry? I wouldn't unless I knew exactly what I was changing would do. In some cases the program is actually compiled on your computer, like say the python interpreter(only certain parts are compiled and those are primarily for OS specific functions like select etc). For a program like say bittorent, there can be as many as 400 changes to the registry, so do u REALLY want to do that?

Well, a lot of programs don't need registry entries. Those can be copied and run with no problem.

As for other applications, they generally come with an installer program which does all the work for you, so why mess about?

Originally posted here by nihil
    Well, a lot of programs don't need registry entries. Those can be copied and run with no problem.

As for other applications, they generally come with an installer program which does all the work for you, so why mess about?

To backup on this.. there are a lot that all yo need to do is copy the Program Files folder across and create a shortcut or 2
    Others: wow, it isnt just a registry hunt, that is the worst, but you have a hunt in your Windows, and System32 folders, as well some will lace files in various sub-directories of Windows.

Some apps that I use live happily on a Jump drive, this allows me to run them on any machine I am working on.. great for system repairs:
    Also there are Apps that allow you to see the modifications made when yo install a programm.. this will certainly help you to work out what can and cant be moved in the manor you ask.. A lot of the Crackers out there use this to help them bypass the publishers copy-protection.. but this isnt the purpose here..is it?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

There are some great programs that work from jump drives. IIRC python works from the jump drive. Theres also a few distros of linux that can be stored on a jump drive and booted from. SLAX is one, same with DSL(Damn Small Linux)

There are other reasons for using the installer program.

1. Check to see if processor is powerful enough
    2. Check for adequate HDD space
    3. Check for compatible OS
    4. Warn if you are overwriting newer files
    5. Warn if the instal fails
    6. Warn if you don't have the right version of shared files or applications

I personally don't think it is a good idea with complex applications as you are almost certain to miss something. Also, it is not that simple to circumvent manufacturers' safeguards, as most have some sort of registration process, which you would have to find and fool.

What programs would you recomend to view the modifications made when you install something on your computer

install watch

http://www.epsilonsquared.com/installwatch.htm

take a snapshot of your system with install watch. install your program then run install watch again to see all the changes that have been made to your system.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”