Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it worth it?

is it worth it?

i currently have 512mb of DDR in my PC, and kinda want to upgrade, i kinda need another opinion on this, because i want it, but im not sure if i need it... i wanna put 2GB in there, 2 1G sticks of DDR hi-speed... anyone offer any solutions, and also any prices/shops/e-shops?

any help appreciated,

Jack

2gb in my opinion is too much, 1gb should be enough unless you do some real heavy gaming and a lot of multitasking. Also, make sure your motherboard supports 2gb of memory.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

i do some REALLY heavy gaming, and some really heavy game development, e.g. 3DS Max, Poser, Vue, Bryce and Photoshop all open at the same time would be bliss for me, and yes, i just got a new motherboard anyway that supports it.

i do some REALLY heavy gaming, and some really heavy game development, e.g. 3DS Max, Poser, Vue, Bryce and Photoshop all open at the same time would be bliss for me, and yes, i just got a new motherboard anyway that supports it.
    Go ahead if the budget allows otherwise 1gig is not too bad.

just my $0.02

- :S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

Without any other info about your computer, Main Board, North & South Cache, Bus, etc...just remember that things will only move along at the speed of the slowest component on your system. No need to exceed that.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hi Jack,

You don't say where you live, but I have always had good results from "Cruicial Memory" you should be able to find your nearest supplier on Google.

I would be inclined to agree that 1Gb of fast DDR is probably enough. Why not start with 1Gb and see if the performance is OK, after all you can add another strip later?

Please look at your system performance monitor...............if you are using a lot of RAM AND PAGEFILE then you could probably use more RAM.

You might like to use a tool such as Ram Idle Pro to constantly monitor what is happening. Don't set it to defragment/recover RAM, just to monitor it.

/off topic

I also find this tool useful for identifying memory leaks, conflicts and deadly embraces /

Finally, check your MoBo documentation carefully. Some boards support less faster memory than they do slower memory.

for graphics like Photoshop, Bryce, 3D max, Poser, etc.... 1GB is enough memory... it is good also if you have dual processor... why don't you give your PC's configuration so that we can figure out if it is needed memory or not

AFLAAACKKK!!
    It is needed memory, he'll have a hard time running those kind's of applications and heavy games on 512mb of ram...

I agree with nihil, stick a gig of ram in there, no less then pc3200 (hopefully your mobo supports it), and test the performance, if you still need more then go an extra gig or 512mb... But I'm pretty sure a gig is all you need...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

hey thanks i went out and bought 1GB as suggested today, and it works superquick now!

thank you for your help everyone

Jack (P.S. i live in England nihil)

Hello Jack,

This is the UK site for Crucial. like them because they use special delivery Royal Mail, so if I am not in when it arrives I only have to nip down to the post office.

Other carriers deliver from Hull or Middlesborough, which can be a pain.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/