Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem: harddrive is not read at all on new computer, help!

problem: harddrive is not read at all on new computer, help!

hello

here is the stats of the computer i JUST built:
    AMD 4400+
    gigayte ga-k8n-SLI
    corsair RAM (2 512 mb)
    7800GT
    maxtor harddrive (200gig, SATA)
    x-dreamer case

my problem is this: i have not yet put an operating disk in the computer, but i tried laoding the harddrive disk becuase the comptuer could not see it at all axcept in the RAID bios

i installed it and ran powermax to format it, it said there wan't any harddrives at all

so i go into the BIOS and enable RAID, it still wont read it. I keep messing with BIOS, and setting for about 5 hours,

customer support is in another country so i cant call anyone. Also, every time it boots (past the bios) it says:

"Media test failure, check cables"

ok, i check, EVERYTHING WAS FINE! After that message ther was:

"Nvidia corporation
    intel corporation"

..this is an AMD! Lastly there was:

"Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press ENTER"

i do, it laods a little, few minutes later is says the SAME THING!

what do i do? (also it says no drives in any slaves/master ports except the cd drive wich i switched just to see what will happen, nothing did)

please help!

The trick is in the setting of the RAID in the bios,,

Not haveing the manual for that particular MoBo (d/l ATM) I cant give you exact directions..
    Gigabyte was a bit vague on the last one I did.. but the fix was in the raid setting in the BIOSsetup.. also if your installing WinXP.. besure to create a diver disk for the sata drivers.. install will not run so well..
    If your loading anyother OS ... I havent played there yet.. sorry..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hmmm, I am confused.....................you only appear to have one hard drive so why are you trying to run RAID, which AFAIK requires a minimum of two?

Also check that if you do only have one drive it is NOT connected to the RAID socket, assuming that you have more than one (mine have 4.............. one for an ordinary HDD installation, two for RAID and a white one for the CD/DVD.)

I would suggest that you check the assembly diagram and manual for the correct connections as a first step.

If you do have RAID, there should be instructions with the MoBo on setting it up (in BIOS) rather than using the HDD software.

johnno,

its a SATA setup.. the plus will be either yellow or red on the mobo..
    there are several modes of operation.. one is IDE emulation (your boot drive becomes H: ), sata raid-0,1 etc), If i remember correctly.. I handed in most of my manuals when i changed jobs.. these Gigabytes were among those I didnt have a backup.. first time can be a pig on the sata hdd setup

patients pays.. like my internet access.. effective 33k on a 512/128dsl.. this sux
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Yes, all my stuff is pre-SATA II Ii's Gigabyte, but the colour scheme is green and white.

This link might help with some ideas

http://www.mechbgon.com/build/SATA.html

maybe it's a bad hard drive, do you know anyone who would let you hook yours up in their case for awhile? And have you tried the windows installation disk to see if it has better results? Probably got this covered, but make sure bios is set to run a sata drive.
    And remember that Windows will need a driver disk during installation to load a SATA drive.

Let the cmputer boot to the winxp cd, and when it asks if you want to load a raid or sata driver press F6... then pop in the disk with the sata driver which came with the HD. Make sure you partition and format the HD

Digoy

Boot into BIOS, hit Ctrl and F1. That will take you into the "hidden menu" check that RAID is turned off, then Windows might just "see" your hard drive to begin with

Originally posted here by Digoy
    hello

here is the stats of the computer i JUST built:
    AMD 4400+
    gigayte ga-k8n-SLI
    corsair RAM (2 512 mb)
    7800GT
    maxtor harddrive (200gig, SATA)
    x-dreamer case

You only have the one hard drive so you are never going to configure your system in a RAID type fashion.
    Forget RAID until you get another Hard Drive, go into your BIOS and cancel any RAID settings you have. Then put your Windows (if you are using windows) CD in, partition and then format your harddrive via the windows CD, then install it and your away!

BANNED
    Here's a link to the manual if it helps any. But like Nokia said just disable all raid. Make sure you also set your bios to boot from cd first then harddrive.

http://us.giga-byte.com/Download/Dow...ultrasli_e.pdf
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Just wondering, but are there any jumpers on the hard drive.
    I had the exact same problem, and it turned out that there weren't any jumpers on the hard drive.
    sometimes they (The manufacturer) don't put them on for some odd reason..

cheers
    front2back