Weird Story, well i think so

Thread: Weird Story, well i think so

Banned

Weird Story, well i think so

So before i go 2 sleep i close all the programs, and put my computer on standby.
    so i went to sleep and about 5 hours later, i hear something loud. so i look up and my computer is running. the monitor is at the windows log in screen.

but not only did it boot itself, it was playing one of those video trailers that always play at the top of the aim buddy list(i recognized the sound). but the funny thing is, that i closed aim and signed off. and those videos only play when ur signed on.

since it was on the windows log in screen i culdnt see the video but i knew the sound, but my keyboard sound control didnt work so i had to find my speakers turn it off and shut the computer off.

is it just me or is that weird?

First thing to look at are your sleep/snooze/standby settings and see if there is a time limit.

Most likely possibility apart from that is you had a small power glitch and that rebooted it.

Originally posted here by nihil
    ...you had a small power glitch and that rebooted it.

Absolutely, and I can make it happen to my wife's and/or son's computer anytime I want. All I have to do is reboot the DSL Modem and thier boxs immediately attempt to reconnect to the IM's they use and also a radio station that my dearest leaves on. Does make for an interesting alarm clock! And as Nihil indicated rebooting the computer does it as well if those programs are on the startup.

!~cheers~!
    Connection refused, try again later.

Actually nihil, it could've also rebooted because of a bluescreen (such as a physical memory dump which I used to get a lot of)
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hmmm,

Actually nihil, it could've also rebooted because of a bluescreen (such as a physical memory dump which I used to get a lot of)
    Yes that would be a possibility with an NT based machine. I believe that behaviour is the default for Win2000 and XP.....................not sure about NT 4.0

However, as he was in standby mode I cannot figure out what would have produced a memory dump or BSOD. I have certainly seen problems trying to come out of standby/sleep/hibernate, but never anything when you were actually in it.

It might be worth looking in the system logs to see if there are any clues?

I used to get the symptom quite regularly until they spent money on the local power supply

Re: Weird Story, well i think so

Do you have any pets? and is AIM set to login on bootup? (I assume it is). If so, your kitty may have tried to do some late night browsing and caused it to come out of standby.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic