Thread: FF mem usage

FF mem usage

each time i look into my task manager firefox seems to increase its mem usage slowly. y is that? it would start as ~20,000 K then soon its at 50,000 then 70,000 then 100,000 and the highest its gotten was 300,000. also in task manager under performance the PF usage would increase as well. got up to 1.96GB one time.. ill ive been doing is surfing the web. and as it increases, my comp seems to slo down more. y is FF using soo much memory? is there a way i can stop/prevent this?? could it be my FF extensions? all i have is adblock, fasterfox, flashgot, and the weather thing.

Hi

It's the CPU figures that you should be worried about, any processes that use a lot of this will slow your PC down, at most times, even when browsing the System Idle should be around 97 or 98%.When you open another program or multitask you will see a CPU spike.....

I have had FF on now for a couple of hrs, and right now it's sitting at 108,000, the more tabs or pages you have open will usually dictate this....play around with it, open Task Manager and open and close tabs.....

If your PC is slowing down while you have a browser open I would tend to believe you have other issues, maybe some malware/spyware, trying to call home while your browsing...

Try reading this sites info, and maybe you'll figure it out... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html

Or go to these sites and run some online scans....
    Trend Micro Housecall
    Panda Online Scan
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Well Fasterfox is certainly a culprit, it prefetches pages in the background so it obviously uses more memory than the vanilla product.

However FireFox in general suffers from memory leaks as well. If you minimise it from time to time, you will find that it releases a lot

BANNED
    It may be a bad extension or theme.

* Poorly designed or incompatible Extensions can cause problems with your browser, including make it crash, slow down page display, etc. If you encounter strange problems relating to parts of the browser no longer working, the browser not starting, windows with strange or distorted appearance, degraded performance, etc, you may be suffering from Extension or Theme trouble. Restart the browser in Safe Mode. On Windows, start using the "Safe Mode" shortcut created in your Start menu or by running firefox.exe -safe-mode. On Linux, start with ./firefox -safe-mode and on Mac OS X, run:

cd /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/
    ./firefox-bin -safe-mode
    When Firefox is started in Safe Mode, all extensions are disabled and the Default theme is used. Disable the Extension or Theme that is causing trouble and then start normally.

If you uninstall an extension that is installed with your user profile (i.e. you installed it from a web page) and then wish to install it for all user profiles using the -install-global-extension command line flag, you must restart the browser once to cleanse the profile extensions datasource of traces of that extension before installing with the switch. If you do not do this you may end up with a jammed entry in the Extensions list and will be unable to install the extension globally.

If you encounter strange problems relating to bookmarks, downloads, window placement, toolbars, history, or other settings, use the Firefox Safe Mode to disable all extensions, themes, and optionally attempt to clean up any corrupted data.
    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/relea...roubleshooting
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

This seems to happen fairly often with applications on windows, which is why you should reboot every few days(I'm not bashing).

Of course Firefox is known for it's memory leakage. One of the culprits is believed to be the flash plugin. Either remove it or restart firefox every once in a while.

I wish there was a better solution