Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best anti virus program?

What's the best anti virus program?

I'm looking to purchase an Anti-Virus program. I was wondering which one is the best out there. Any suggestions on which one I should purchase. It's going to be used on my home computer. I do have a small 2 pc network hopefully I can install it on both. I don't want Symantec.
    I'll update this post with your suggestions.

Suggestions:

Save yourself some cash and download and install the free verion of AVG. It updates and doesn't require an annual outlay of cash.

If you insist on buying something, though, you will have to purchase a license for each system you install to. You can't just buy one copy/license and install on however many systems you want. Illegal, unethical and will get you in trouble with the vendor.

AVG is a good option and you can install to as many boxes as you like.

I currently have AVG. But for some reason, I just don't feel safe because it's free. So am I just being paranoid? I mean I want something that works, because I do a lot of online banking and shopping. I want something that is going to protect me. Can any other program out there do a better job than AVG, or is it good enough?

Banned
    AVG works better than McAffee or Norton in my experience.

But my personal choice for Windows AV is just online scans. TrendMicro Housecall

I mean I want something that works, because I do a lot of online banking and shopping. I want something that is going to protect me
    Then you want to harden your system. An AV wouldn't do that, and wouldn't detect a lot of exploits backdoors and trojans.

You should be looking at a router/firewall as well as AV and anti-malware.

Hi

I recently switched from AVG to AVAST found AVG to be slow in bringing out new definitions, as well as catching on to new problems....AVAST is freeware and seems to work very nicely, it also has a neat little feature with it:

VRDB

VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair infected files (return them exactly to their original state).....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Originally posted here by dalek
    Hi

I recently switched from AVG to AVAST found AVG to be slow in bringing out new definitions, as well as catching on to new problems....AVAST is freeware and seems to work very nicely, it also has a neat little feature with it:

VRDB

VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair infected files (return them exactly to their original state).....
    Note: I'm not advertising, I'm just replying to the post. Sorry if it seems like one.

Ah yes I'm a big fan and user of avast! as well. I find it great for real-time protection as it is very extensive in its protection for it. Also its free version is very similar to the paid version, and it has a lot of great features such as automatic updating, nice looking skins, and more (its also freeware as mentioned previously). As for AVG, well--it's horrible in my opinion...the free version is worse because it only offers resident protection and on-demand scanning (inside protection while opening files, but while say you go onto a bad website, it sits there and does nothing). Based on several reviews and opinions made by others on other forums, AVG is one of the worst. If you don't believe me you should see its Virus Bulletin 100% Award ratings (10 successes, 21 failures, and 12 entries they didn't do.). So in short the free version is made with a really basic looking interface and performs like one of your simplist AV's out there, and the paid version isn't much better. Okay I'm done flaming it now :P (dislikes AVG a lot from previous experiences).

But anyway, back to the point...for paid AV's I'd reccomend NOD32 and KAV(Kaspersky Antivirus) since they're quite popular and apparently handle way better compared to Mcaffee or Norton (according to opinions from other forums and people). NOD32 is rather basic in interface, but has arguably the best heuristics I've ever seen. However its still relatively new and bases most of its detecting and ratings on its heuristics (its virus signature database isn't really big at all). Kaspersky on the other hand is more or less like your upgraded version of Norton and Mcaffee put together, giving you nice, reliable protection. These two I find being mentioned a lot with compliments and more.

EDIT: Well the list goes on and on, but I've listed some of the main ones. There are also a few out there too that are well known and aren't too bad, such as:

BitDefender
    F-Prot
    Dr.Web
    F-Secure
    NORMAN
    AntiVir

...and probably more I haven't thought of.
    Come to the dark side......WE.....HAVE......trackingCOOKIES!!

BANNED
    Originally posted here by d0pp
    AVG works better than McAffee or Norton in my experience.

But my personal choice for Windows AV is just online scans. TrendMicro Housecall
    What d0pp said and if you want another option for online scans there is also:
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

DrWeb CureIT utility
    This scanner works fine in online and failsafe mode, removes both Spies and Virs
    http://download.drweb.com/drweb+anti...ee+services/#0

My chose is aslo Avast for residend protection. Becouse it has good, fast and also has features like Boot-time scanner and different moudels so it makes it very flexible. Great plus also is that avast has good online free support forum.

ClamWin is an alternative or I can say addition to others. ClamWin has not any realtime protection but is nice to play with.
    never know

avast Definitly

In my opinion after alot of test ,i would go with avast ,its very stable , it has alot of great features and as far as how it runs in the backround, it doesn't lag the computer down, if your looking for an all in one solution you cant beat zone alarm internet sucurity ,ive tried them all norton , avg, nod 32, ect and those two mentioned above i would recommend depending on the persons needs