Thread: Please help me pc games

Please help me pc games

well my favourite game Total annihilation: Kingdoms will not install on my new pc. My old system was a win 98 and i have xp. i try clicking install but nothing happens although when i press ctrl alt del it says setup.exe is running. i tried running it in compatibility mode for 98 still nothing. im stumped. any ideas?

I am afraid I do not know that particular game but:

1. Be patient and give it a long time to run.
    2. See if there are any updates on the game suppliers site.
    3. Consider dual booting. I know quite a few people who do this to play older games on XP.

The Recidivist
    Im going to hijack this thread and ask a question real quick. Nihil, you brought this to mind. I used to dual boot an XP/2003 Pro/Linux box..... I got rid of 2003 Pro (teehhee key prob) and run XP/Linux. I have changed distros several times (as well as boot loaders) but yet when I choose Windows under Grub or Lilo it brings me to another screen which gives options for either 2003 Pro or XP. Since I have changed boot loaders several times and this screen hasn't changed I am guessing this is a Win Boot loader of some sort. Since I don't have a dual boot Win I no longer need this menu.....How do I remove it?

Ry
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: Please help me pc games

Originally posted here by Digoy
    well my favourite game Total annihilation: Kingdoms will not install on my new pc. My old system was a win 98 and i have xp. i try clicking install but nothing happens although when i press ctrl alt del it says setup.exe is running. i tried running it in compatibility mode for 98 still nothing. im stumped. any ideas?

Have you tried shutting down all other running programs first, including any antivirus, real time antispyware, etc. applications that may be running?
    - Maverick

Awesome game. I don't play kingoms much but i do have the original TA, all the expansions, and too many custom units.

Consider dual booting. I know quite a few people who do this to play older games on XP.
    I can rule this out as the problem. I currently use the original TA on my xp box with no issues, and seeing as how kingdoms came out after TA i would have to say its also compatible on an XP system.

I would say check your disk first, if its a little scratched or dirty in the right, wrong?, place it can prevent the whole shabang from working properly. Definatly kill all background apps running as well during install.

Edit: You say that your xp pc is new, did you make sure to update all drivers, BIOS, mobo, sound, vid, as well as DirectX? i have found some of my older games wouldn't install, play, or would crash on xp without the latest version of DirectX or a mix of drivers installed.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    I would recommend going to the game developer's site. They may have an update to allow the game to work in XP.

Freedom Force would not run on my PC with SP2 installed until I ran this patch.

From the sounds of it though, it sounds like wowow.exe (or however it's written) is not working (the compatibility process for Win98 and older apps - 16bit)

Also, try dumping your temp files. It could be that the installer can't get the files to the temp folder.

Try updating the Windows Installer to 3.1 and see if that helps too....

Try cleaning the CD, fingerprints might make some sectors unreadable?

Just throwing out things that come to mind