Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning your computer off by front panel button??

Turning your computer off by front panel button??

I've heard a lot of opinions about whether it is bad for the computer to turn it off by pressing the button on the front of it. Is this true, or just a myth??

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...its not bad for the hardware....but it is bad for the operating system...because there are many services and open files that can become corrupted.

Best is to use shut down from the operating system

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

With Windows XP and a reasonably modern computer (i.e. ATX power supply) it's fine. It will just signal the computer to turn itself off, which is exactly the same as using Start -> Turn Off. That's assuming you tap the button. Holding it down will kill the power without giving the OS a chance to shut down, which is not a good idea.

With previous operating systems and with AT power supplies, it's not a good idea. It will kill the power without giving the OS a chance to shut down.

its far more effitient to bypass it all with a little sysmic adjustment utilising a pall pin hammer.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

there should be a place in the Bios menu that allows you to choose what the Off button will do. you can set it so that once it's pressed then it will safely shut down windows. or you can set it so that if pressed it will put the computer into Hibernation mode etc etc.

cheers
    front2back

Fronties ~ is spot on, you can set the shut down events in all currently used Windows.

Doesn't anyone remember the old:

IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER

You then used the front (or back) button to shut it down?

I shall have to start the evening session by being nice

its far more effitient to bypass it all with a little sysmic adjustment utilising a pall pin hammer.
    I won't go for the spelling innovations other than pall pin.............I am enough of a hardware engineer to only take a ball pein hammer to a computer.....................unless it is stubborn, in which case a six-pound lump hammer will do the job

With Windows XP and a reasonably modern computer (i.e. ATX power supply) it's fine. It will just signal the computer to turn itself off, which is exactly the same as using Start -> Turn Off. That's assuming you tap the button. Holding it down will kill the power without giving the OS a chance to shut down, which is not a good idea.
    and with F2B's comment.. for shutting down a system in quicktime, A soft powerdown, the power button on an ATX system is about the safest fastest, for both software and hardware.
    with this shutdown, same as shutdown /f, in other words a software powerdown. The HDDs have all write operations closed before power down, the supplies close in correct order, with BIOS/Standby circuits beingg all thats left with power.

Even the Mobo shutdown (hold the power button for 5 to 10 seconds) is better for hardware than a cold switch..Supplies close cleanly.. it is only any hdd write ops that are affected.. certainly best if you suspect a virus, or have a lockup. not so friendly to the OS or cahced data

Now the Cold/Hard power switch... that is same as pulling the plug.. this can (with some PSU's) send voltage spikes into the mobo, the supply rails dont close cleanly, this can damage some hardware, if not immediatly, certainly will in the long run. only to be used as a last resort..ie water / fire hazzard. Having said that, there are some psu's that are able to perform a safe close of supplies.. but most of us dont know what tech is in the box in the box

IF your not aware, while the power cable is connected to a ATX PSU/mobo combination, you have circuits on the mobo that are powered. so if your replacing cards, memory, cpu..the board is live..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I won't go for the spelling innovations other than pall pin.............I am enough of a hardware engineer to only take a ball pein hammer to a computer
    Hhhmmm that must be the Rural spelling version or is it just native to the UK??

Ball Peen
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Dalek old chap.................English belongs to us?...........God gave you maple trees and beavers instead?

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....L+PEIN+HAMMERS

It is our way of describing them.............they are basically engineers or metal workers hammers?

Originally posted here by nihil
    Dalek old chap.................English belongs to us?...........God gave you maple trees and beavers instead?

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....L+PEIN+HAMMERS

It is our way of describing them.............they are basically engineerts or metal workers hammers?

That must be "Stanley" from the our carry on gang........We'll keep the beavers though...

50/50 eh!.....Peen \Peen\, n. [Cf. G. pinne pane of a hammer.]
    (a) A round-edged, or hemispherical, end to the head of a
    hammer or sledge, used to stretch or bend metal by
    indentation.
    (b) The sharp-edged end of the head of a mason's hammer.
    [Spelt also pane, pein, and piend.]

Pein \Pein\, n.
    See Peen.

Or does 'Peen" overide "Pein"...then 60/40 for me........
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson