Norton Internet Security
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Internet Security

Question Norton Internet Security

I have to admit that I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to computer security. My goal is relatively simple, keep crap off of my new laptop. I'm not trying to protect any national security info or anything like that. I currently have the firewall that comes w/ Windows XP. I have Norton Anti-Virus installed and would like to purchase the Norton Personal Firewall. What are your thoughts on the Norton Firewall?

Re: Norton Internet Security

Originally posted here by xenoborg2001
    I have to admit that I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to computer security. My goal is relatively simple, keep crap off of my new laptop. I'm not trying to protect any national security info or anything like that. I currently have the firewall that comes w/ Windows XP. I have Norton Anti-Virus installed and would like to purchase the Norton Personal Firewall. What are your thoughts on the Norton Firewall?
    My thoughts on the Norton..........well let me see...nah you don't really want to know my thoughts on Norton of anything, the only Norton I liked was on the Honeymooners"......

Seriously.......MS Article or How did I get Infected

One thing to remember is Norton uses up a lot of the OS's resources, more or less gets it's hooks into everything, so that when it comes time to get rid of it, it will leave a mess behind.However if you are using a fully paid up version, then you might as well use it until it expires, by then you will have read up on a lot of the forums, where Norton does get trashed a lot...and will migrate to either AVG or AVAST freeware Antivirus programs which work just as well if not better then Norton......also there is a free firewall app called Zone Alarm, read up on this one as it also plays funny with other programs.....

As for a Firewall, I use a D-Link Router, and the Windows Firewall, and as I have other programs to ensure my browsing is safe, that's basically all I need...

Spywareblaster
    Spybot S & D

Luck....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Same advice from me, also. Norton Internet Security can conflict with XP Firewall (when using VPN client or other programs)

Try This

Learn to Program. Then design and get your own firewall going it might help on keeping new laptops new and not bugged out if you need help on this I can help!

-The Possibility

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    and will migrate to either AVG or AVAST freeware Antivirus programs which work just as well if not better then Norton
    Do you actually have any tangible evidence whatsoever to support your claims? How about a accredited website that does independent AV testing, maybe someone like Virus Bulletin for example. If you think they fabricate results for monetary gain, then, provide me with some links that prove what you say from other accredited, independent AV test sites.
    If that's not your forte, then provide some results from a ghosted machine with different AV scan results posted in an Excel format like HTRegz did.
    I'm not even defending Norton anymore. This has nothing to do with Norton. It's sad that people are throwing out opinions on AV solutions and provide no tangible evidence, not even a morsel to back up their claims. By the way "My system has been clean ever since I started using [AV Product]" is not the tangible evidence I'm looking for.

p.s. Before anyone even attempts to crucify me as being pro-norton, I switched to Kaspersky about a month or so ago. I'm content with Kaspersky and the only reason I switched to Kasperksy from Norton was because Norton was rendering my system too slow. As for virus scanning performance, Norton consistently excelled. Especially compared to free AV solutions like AVG and Avast. I used Virus Bulletin as my source along with 2 other websites and personal experience to make my final decision.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Banned
    On the occasions that I run a Windows box... I do a weekly scan at TrendMicro Housecall And leave it at that. I see no need for "real time" protection. You need to prevent malware and intrusions by locking the machine down. Eliminate unnecessary services, limit ActiveX and Java, etc.

In the last 4 years, none of my Windows machines have been infected with anything more than spyware that came packaged with software. And I got rid of it after install. Granted I have dealt with many viral incidents, but never on a machine I locked down. If I'm in a hurry... I turn on Windows firewall and AVG.... But I lock the machine down before serious use.

There are a great many tutorials here that will assist you in making your machine secure. Use them.

Do you actually have any tangible evidence whatsoever to support your claims? How about a accredited website that does independent AV testing,
    I actually used to like Trend Micro Internet 2005 (Corporate version) but found it to be clunky when playing with the OS's resources....I agree Norton and McAfee do score high on most reviews done by PC World and CNET

I go from personal experience, and most OEM's that we unfortunatly buy for work come with Norton preinstalled with a 90 day trial, I usually uninstall these right away (hassle), so yeah a lot of this is generated by slanted reviews.....

I read what I can when it comes to protecting systems with an AV, for home I have tried Trend Micro, AVG, and now AVAST.....I am not as technically savvy as some of you, when it comes to actually running "Honeypots" and doing the legwork on some of the virii that are out there....I'm learning.

As for accredited sites that do independant testing, this one though a little old shows some very interesting comparisons with the major players and the little guys...AV-Test

http://www.av-test.org/index.php3?lang=en

As for Norton, I am seeing on a large scale,users tossing it, the only Norton that is viable is the corporate version, and unless you own more then 5 PC's why bother, I am not out to trash Norton, if you like it then go for it, but there are alternatives IMO......in other words I should just mention to read up on all of them and make a decision based upon your own feelings and instincts...

This test done in November 2005AV Comparitives actually shows AVAST outperforming Norton and the best overall was NOD32

Edit: This article is a very good read as well...Security Park

Note:
    It's also worth mentioning the tests conducted by VirusBulletin (an industry publication) - I am sure that if I didn't include this, readers would ask why the tests and the resulting VB100% award hadn't been mentioned. Sadly, these tests are far from perfect. The test standards were developed in the mid-1990s and have barely changed since then. Antivirus products are tested using a collection of files infected by ITW viruses. The award is given on the basis of the test results. However, the ITW collection only contains between two to three thousand files - fewer malicious programs than appear in the wild in the space of a single month. Therefore, a VB100% award doesn't necessarily mean that a product really provides protection against all types of malware. It simply means that the product copes well with VirusBulletin's ITW collection, nothing more.
    So not all reviews or tests are 100% correct, it will still come down to user preference and knowledge....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Frustrated Mad Scientist

Re: Try This

Originally posted here by the possibility
    Learn to Program. Then design and get your own firewall going it might help on keeping new laptops new and not bugged out if you need help on this I can help!

-The Possibility

Yup that's what I tell every newbie I meet. Why not start by writing your own OS. ****s sake

Anyway, Most people hate Norton not becuase of it's AV performance but more because of it's side effect on the rest of the OS. It's a resource hog and you can see a noticeable increase in performance with it removed.

I can't comment of the efficacy of the other products mentioned in any formal way. I can only give a users opinion. I've used both AVG and Avast free versions. I had problems with AVG after updating my Zone Alarm firewall so I move to Avast.

I've never had a viral infection on the PC when using either of these. I do actually prefer Avast now I've used it. It updates automatically when you go online (AVG require a manual update) and it has caught a few trojans trying to sneak onto my machine through websites.

I've used Zone Alarm for years. Opinions vary on it but it seems to do the trick. Catch will argue that a properly configured PC will not need a firewall. I think that in real life especially if you are not IT aware to a very high level having a firewall is better than not. If you have an external router to connect to the net it may have a firewall built in.

Look through the tutorial forums for advice on Spyware blocking/prevention. Spyware blaster is a good program to have as it prevent the spyware getting onto the machine in the first place. Same with using Firefox rather than IE. Nothing provides complete immunity you're just trying to cover as many bases as possible.

Best advice is to backup whatever is important regularly. Then if the worst happens it's an inconvenience rather than a disaster.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Dalek, now that's what I was looking for. Excellent post. See, the reason I bitch and complain about people backing up their claims is simple. If it's true, and I see tangible evidence to switch AV products, not only are you doing yourself a favor but you are doing me a favor by educating me to help protect my system. My apologies for coming off so harsh, but, I like statistics, not opinions when it comes to protecting my computer.
    The Security Park site was an interesting read, btw.

As for AV-Comparatives.org
    Make a donation or support us by buying something at Amazon.com! AV-comparatives.org has put all their efforts in order to make those Anti-Virus comparatives in a short period of time. While we want to stay 100% independent, we aren't averse to accept donations
    We do not give any guaranty for the correctness, completeness, etc. for a certain purpose of any of the information/content provided on these pages at any given time
    These types of disclosures makes me very weary.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Since most problems come from user action, and not
    external hacking, the most important thing you can do
    is to properly configure your browser to reduce the
    threat of software installation, page hijacking etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/.../settings.mspx

The default settings are way too permissive on javascript, activeX,
    and so forth. You could also check about settings on your email client.
    If you have other people use your computer, they need to be taught
    to observe the same security practices that you do.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...ng_safety.mspx

Microsoft's advice is reasonable, but some people may say you
    should consider being even more strict. The reason this stuff is configurable
    is so that you can have it your way, but in order to do so,
    you must invest time learning a lot of detail.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.