Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norton Internet Security

Relating to what rcgreen said...

I select a browser based on purpose...
    * Known safe sites (eBay, Amazon, CNN, etc) = IE
    * Unknown or sites that dont need (or I care) Active-X or JAVA turned OFF = Mozilla

I also run these using the DropMyRights script developed by a Microsoft developer - see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...re11152004.asp.

I also have a tool called Prevx Home installed. http://www.prevx.com

Banned
    Contrary to popular opinion... In an NT environment, ie 2k or XP Pro... IE is the best browser choice in terms of security and safety. As long as you are willing to invest the time to learn how to secure it. Group policies are a wonderful tool.

Re: Norton Internet Security

Originally posted here by xenoborg2001
    I have to admit that I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to computer security. My goal is relatively simple, keep crap off of my new laptop. I'm not trying to protect any national security info or anything like that. I currently have the firewall that comes w/ Windows XP. I have Norton Anti-Virus installed and would like to purchase the Norton Personal Firewall. What are your thoughts on the Norton Firewall?
    I have tried a few different ones but not Norton's so if you have your heart set on that one, i can't help you.I can recommend however, Kerio 4.Awesome firewall with the lastest web blocking features, shows port attacks,etc.The best part is you can try the full version for 30 days free and believe me, you won't need that long to decide.Bye the way, could you let us know how Norton Antivirus has been running, meaning does it slow your system down?.

My system seems to be working fine with Norton AntiVirus installed, I haven't really noticed anything running slower.

As an ex tech support agent for Symantec on among other things the Norton line of products. I wouldnt recommend ANYONE to use it. Especially not the Firewall, the AV is decent enough but its a MAJOR resource hog. It drops about 5000 reg keys in your registry (compared to many other AV products which have 20ish keys added).

The program cant be uninstalled the normal way without leaving loads of crap in your registry. This crap in turn will give you major hassle and conflicts if you try to reinstall NAV or ANY other AV or firewall product. Infact Symantec got a specific tool for removing the program since the uninstaller cant handle it ( www.symantec.com/symnrt ).

The whole GUI of the program is based on IE and thus if IE crashes you got no AV anymore. That alone is a MAJOR flaw i would say. Considering most Malware now a days damages IE thats a big problem.

There is nuuuumerous more reasons not to buy this piece of crap but i cant recall it all off the top of my head.

Google around, there is plenty of websites around dedicated to slamming NAV and NIS.

Originally posted here by ShagDevil
    Do you actually have any tangible evidence whatsoever to support your claims?
    Your write, but its a well know fact that norton takes over your OS and when its time to get rid of it leaves scattered files around, and norton does make good products, they just need to fix the resource hoggin and other things like that.... Its also true that the free alternatives to norton are also good. Now to say one is better than the other depends on the situation on hand and how much resources your willing to part with..

just my 2cents.

As a INET technical support person I would say Norton Internet Security ;.... ; NO
    Every time Norton does an update to this program we have 100s of customers calling in and they are unable to do anything online. Upon disabling NIS everything works fine. When customer calls Norton they just tell them to call their provider and give them the brush off. This program is not user freindly and we have another 100 or so customers a month calling in with bad virus problems and they are running Norton for their AV. The stats seem to be about 100:1 Norton systems infected to systems running AVG. Another issue is when the subscription runs out some customers experience a multitude of issues including no inet as well as being unable to uninstall NIS.
    In a nutshell if you install this product you will eventually be sorry.
    Oh yeah and it basically Kills your available system resources as an added bonus.