Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roomate a suspect?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Buy a second mouse and keyboard which have exposed metal or another conductive surface. Run their cabling so they look like they're connecting to the computer, instead you are connecting the exposed parts of the mouse and keyboard across the terminals of a very large charged capacitor.

This will knock the living s__t out of your roomie as it will turn his arms, chest, heart etc into an LC circuit.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    (although spamdies beat me to it)

make an autoexec.bat file.

in it put:

----------------------------------
    echo time /t >>someoddname.dll
    ----------------------------------

open it in notepad to read it

You mean:

::----------------
    echo %username% >> file.txt
    date /t >> file.txt
    time /t >> file.txt
    ::----------------

Cuz "echo" cannot show time.....
    never know

I think we have it all figured out for you. The batch file is a must, the 110v to the keyboard, the video camera so you can have years of viewing pleasure, and of course the buzzer to let you know when it happened so you will know when to return.

Connection refused, try again later.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Put your hard drive in a caddy mount and take it with you when you go out.

If the person has pyhsical access to your system when you are out it's the only way to ensure your data is safe.

Locks on cases take about 15s to get into & then your hard drive is compromised.

Get a new room mate?

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Wow! this thread turned out to be much more than I expected. I am off to college this fall and the information in here will definitely help me take preventitive action if it is needed. This will be most helpful.
    there's always a way in...

VERY simple soultion......you don't want roomate to have access to your box?????????
    Set BIOS password.

Be done with it. There are very few ways to get around a BIOS pswd and if your roomate is not tech savy then that is your fix.

Hmmm,

You don't say what OS and BIOS versions you are using. You also don't give any idea of why your room mate would want to use your computer, rather than his own.

The BIOS password is a good idea, but can sometimes be bypassed using a default "back door" value. Similarly it is generally possible to reset the password if you have physical access. Obviously this is pretty blatant and easily detected.

You might like to disable the guest account and rename the administrator one to make the machine more difficult to use.

Also, how secure do you want your data to be? in the Defence Sector we use removable hard drive mountings like steve.milner suggested. If there is no HDD and no operating system and applications it makes the machine pretty useless. Sure you could use a CD, but why?

Just a few thoughts.................

Just take your roommate "out". I know places up here in the hills they'd never find the body.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Doesn't that give you straight A's as well? Come on... I say that's a foolproof solution. To the hills!
    Turn off the sun,
    Pull the stars from the sky.

Re: Roomate a suspect?

Originally posted here by aura2

My question is how can I make a program that counts everytime my computer is turned on (when i leave i turn my computer off). I assume that everytime I turn my computer on there could be a value that increments by 1, but I dont want this program to be detected. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    If it's a Windows system just look under the Event Viewer and the System Logs. I doubt he's touching those.

Look for a sequence of these three event IDs.... 6006, 6009, 6005. The first one (6006) indicates when you turned your PC off, and 6009 followed by 6005 show when it was booted up.

Or you can use a simple vbscript that goes something like this... Copy it to notepad and save it with the .vbs file extension.

strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    Set colLoggedEvents = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_NTLogEvent Where Logfile = 'System' and " _
    & "EventCode = '6009'")
    Wscript.Echo "PC Boot Ups: " & colLoggedEvents.Count

Run that script before you leave, and when you get back. If the number incremented by two or more, you will know someone is monkeying with your PC while you were gone. You might want to clear your system log before you put that script into real use to reset everything to zero. And make sure it's not put in an obvious location or your roommate will know you are tracking him.