Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roomate a suspect?

Thanks guys, This was a ton of help

You could always put a key switch in line with your power button, or replace your power button with a momentary key switch, so you need the key to start the machine up. Not exactly a fool proof solution if they have access to the inside of the case, but I'm gonna put money on the fact that he wont want to open it up, short out the key lock, and close it back up just to get on your computer. Then again, maybe I underestimate the willpower of your roomie
    Turn off the sun,
    Pull the stars from the sky.

if you want to be less technical but sneaky, create a batch file. have it time stamp a log file on boot, create a short cut to that batch file, change its properties to a hidden file and drop it in startup menu. an alternate to the start up menu, use the reqisrty to run on boot up and shut down... you can have it log all kinds of nifty stuff.

Now thats assuming your using a windows box, if your using linux: man cron.

Well if you just want to prevent him from using it, assuming he knows little or nothing about computers, remove the pin connected to the power button on the mobo.

If you want to catch him in the act, make sure he knows you're leaving for a long time (leave the comp off) and 30 minutes later pop back in, there won't be any time to shut down the computer before you see it on or see him running from it

Another alternative would be to just hide the power cable in somebody else's dorm or in your own dorm...he'd have to be real desperate to go out of his way to buy a new one..

or if your too lazy for all the above, the batch file idea(s) sound nice

EDIT: and if you're that serious about it....do what my brother did..buy a couple of survalence cameras trained on your computer constantly monitoring who touches it.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Ninja Code Monkey
    Indeed, a roommate would never see you fiddling with your motherboard every time you try to use your computer or as you come and go.

Brilliant!
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

The power button can be a real hoot, removing the pin is a great idea. But how about simply buying a horn or a buzzer from Rad Shack and hook that up to the power button. When he goes to turn it on it makes a loud noise, siren or whatever...lol. That'll give him Charmin Moment!

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

BANNED
    Just take the cord with you.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Haha Thanks guys, i think I'm gonna do either the buzzer or the batch file.

Buy a webcam, use Motion (motion.sf.net, if your on linux, otherwise bit of python and the video capture module) and have the images shipped to a server so that you can see if he's been on your computer - its a good laugh.

Or just electrocute the Keyboard with 110vac, that should stop him..

i2c

(although spamdies beat me to it)

make an autoexec.bat file.

in it put:

----------------------------------
    echo time /t >>someoddname.dll
    ----------------------------------

open it in notepad to read it
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”