Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE7 Beta available

IE7 Beta available

For those that want to check out the new version of Internet Explorer 7...it's a Beta so there will probably be bugs...however the security functions look interesting....

IE7 Beta
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

To save you all time, instead of clicking 10 links to actually get to the download..try this
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...aredirect.mspx

I tried it out. and its basically the same as firefox just with a cool skin, that u can probably download for firefox. firefox still seems faster for me.

AOs Resident Troll
    Maybe Dalek want to just provide a link...

so you could READ about the features of the beta version...before installing.....

specially on a production machine

seeing it is still BETA

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Wow! That is a big change from 6 to 7. Looks very nice, but it sure does look like the result of a Firefox & IE love-child. I will try it out at home, not on my work PC.

BTW - The link to the new features of IE7 is here, sorry Dalek if I stepped on your toes with that.

BTW, BTW - This is my 100th post!! w00t-w00t!! Time to celebrate! Go Bannana!

-Deeboe
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    Maybe Dalek want to just provide a link...

so you could READ about the features of the beta version...before installing.....

specially on a production machine

seeing it is still BETA

MLF
    Hi

The link I provided is not the download right away link, while there you have options to read the sub menus at the bottom of the flash image, simply click on the heading and it will take you to where you want to go as far as reading the specs or comments....but for those who wish to read the complete story...What's New in Internet Explorer 7 ....

Note:
    Evaluation of Internet Explorer 7 should start now, but the software should not be used on production systems in mission-critical environments. Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview will only run on Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) systems, but will ultimately be available for Windows Vista, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, and Windows Server 2003.
    BTW - The link to the new features of IE7 is here, sorry Dalek if I stepped on your toes with that.
    not a problem....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I have been reading a lot about IE 7 over the month. The most interesting aspect from a security standpoint is similar to perhaps NT when they added the hardware abstraction layer to prevent devices from directly accessing the OS. In IE 7 the browser gets a deeper integration into the OS by invoking a software "protection" layer that prevents IE from privileged access. Good or bad? Who knows but interesting.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AOs Resident Troll
    I have been reading a lot about IE 7 over the month. The most interesting aspect from a security standpoint is similar to perhaps NT when they added the hardware abstraction layer to prevent devices from directly accessing the OS. In IE 7 the browser gets a deeper integration into the OS by invoking a software "protection" layer that prevents IE from privileged access. Good or bad? Who knows but interesting.
    I would love to try it out...but the only non production machines I have access to right now are W2ks......

I think having the browser with limited privledges is a good thing...

as long as the features still work

MLF

the new IE 7 looks like a mix between aol explorer(terrible) and firefox with a theme. i didnt read about but have they dont anything to improve security?

AOs Resident Troll
    but have they dont anything to improve security
    I think that would be the "privledge" thing

MLF

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    I think that would be the "privledge" thing

MLF

... not to mention the anti-phishing filter. Something already controversial in that you opt in to send sites to MS for anaylsis and they add that to an antiphishing list that gets stored on your local PC which prevents you from accessing "known" phishing sites. Is it a best option? Perhaps not but the best attempt so far. And there is more. In fact until you make the decision to enable the antiphishing filter you get the prompt for EVERY site you visit. This doesn't apeal to my personal habits but to my users...that is another story. If I can provide another layer of preventative measures perhaps that is beneficial.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.