Thread: Stopping Exchange Logs?

Question Stopping Exchange Logs?

One of our client's servers is losing disk space due to an overpiling of Exchange logs.

Basically, there's a directory E:\Exchg that contains all the log files. However, I've been looking up and down Exchange's system console (it doesn't help that today is the second day I've ever seen an Exchange server EVER -- talk about crash course!), and I can't find any settings that govern where Exchange logs go or how in the world to turn them off.

Looking at each log file, it looks like they're just undeliverable message logs.

Any suggestions?

AOs Resident Troll
    Is the exchange getting backed up.....

An online backup should clear the logs...

What OS and Exchange version????

NTBACKUP is exchange aware....and can back it up while running and in use....granted it will slow it down.....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Morgan is right. DO NOT DELETE THOSE LOGS!!!!!!!

You will lose all your email contained in those logs. Logs is misleading they are not status logs or security logs. Those are messages that have not been applied to the database. It's crap but it's the way it is. Those logs can only be cleared through an exchange aware backup. Like Morgan said if you look under 2k backup or NT backeup you will see the Exhange Information Store as an option. Run this and the logs should clear, if not right away then after a system mainenance is run. I can't remember if it's right away. Once that drive fills up the logs will start corrupting and even a restore won't save you because you are not backing the system up properly.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Oh you can change the location of the logs. For instance, on a few occasions I have run out and installed another hard drive for disater recovery clients and moved the logs to the new drive while we cleaned out an issue of mass NDRs (non delivery reports) and spamming *******s.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Thanks guys. We ended up passing it up to one of the higher techs, and from what I'm told, he rigged it so that it refreshes logs instead of adding to them, hence resolving the disk space issue. I've got a LOT to learn on Exchange.

ack. I just noticed the date. That was like 4 week ago.
    West of House