Telephone over 56k modem?

Thread: Telephone over 56k modem?

Telephone over 56k modem?

Hi,
    I'm wondering if I installed a 56k modem in my computer, would I be able to make regular phone calls from it? I'm curious because I think it would be awesome to have a script to say, call my cell phone and wake me up. Even though there's no pratical reason for it, I think it'd be fun to play with. Does anyone know if this would work?
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I think there's programs out there to do such a thing, yes. You'll need a voice/data/fax modem to handle full capabilities.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Just Another Geek

Re: Telephone over 56k modem?

Originally posted here by Jareds411
    Hi,
    I'm wondering if I installed a 56k modem in my computer, would I be able to make regular phone calls from it? I'm curious because I think it would be awesome to have a script to say, call my cell phone and wake me up. Even though there's no pratical reason for it, I think it'd be fun to play with. Does anyone know if this would work?
    Some modems will allow you to use it as a regular phone. You can use a headset or something to talk. But not all modems are able to do that. If you just want it to call you, a simple script that sends an ATDT12345456789 to the modem will make the modem dial 123456789.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.